Translation of Profession for 4X ggf

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
JSpero1162
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39

Translation of Profession for 4X ggf

Post by JSpero1162 »

I'm trying to translate the profession for my 4x great grandfather, Giachino Spera listed on the birth record for one of his sons. It appears to say "soldato della compagnia di arma di cofanetti", which I translate as "soldier of the company of weapons boxes" or possibly weapons caskets? This is the only record I can find which mentions him as a soldier.

I truly appreciate any help offered.

Thank you.

The applicable section is on the right hand page, left column, 1/3 down the page.

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 1.jpg.html

I apologize in advance if the link doesn't work as this is my first time posting.
weirdo350
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 31 Jan 2021, 21:02
Location: Italy

Re: Translation of Profession for 4X ggf

Post by weirdo350 »

Hi,
I think, instead, it could be written "soldato della compagnia d'arma di Caporetto".
Hope it can help you.
weirdo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 12:33
Location: Italia

Re: Translation of Profession for 4X ggf

Post by weirdo »

Hi,
this is what I can read:

"soldato della compagnia d'arma di Caporetto"

Hope this can help you.
JSpero1162
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39

Re: Translation of Profession for 4X ggf

Post by JSpero1162 »

Thank you. I am assuming that Caporetto would be a town or area name. I found a town with that name in northern Italy/Slovenia. Is there another translation for Caporetto? Thank you again.
weirdo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 12:33
Location: Italia

Re: Translation of Profession for 4X ggf

Post by weirdo »

Hi,
the name Caporetto can be found written as Kobarid in Slovenian, and Karfreit in German.
The place is famous for the "Battle of Caporetto", also known as the "Defeat of Caporetto" (or even "Twelfth Battle of the Isonzo"); it was a battle on the Italian front and is known as the greatest defeat ever suffered by the Italian army, in 1917 during WWI.
Caporetto was part of the Kingdom of Italy until 1947.

I'll put you a couple of links of the wikipedia pages, which are also in English, if you are interested in history (in Italian language you can find much more information, but just to get an idea; and there should also be videos on yt):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Caporetto

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobarid
JSpero1162
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39

Re: Translation of Profession for 4X ggf

Post by JSpero1162 »

Thanks. I love reading history and will definitely look at that. I will have to do more research to see if Caporetto might apply to my 4x ggf, as he was in the army in 1835 and died in 1849, possibly as part of the Sicilian rebellion.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Translation of Profession for 4X ggf

Post by PippoM »

I think Caporetto is an evocative suggestion, but I'm doubtful about it, as Caporetto was not part of the Kingdom of Two Sicilies, nor had anything to do with it (as far as I know).
You ought to find some other record about this man, hoping his Company is mentioned, and more readable.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
weirdo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 12:33
Location: Italia

Re: Translation of Profession for 4X ggf

Post by weirdo »

yep, in fact, then I noticed it too, and from the dates provided it would no longer correspond... But I can't find a similar name for a Sicilian city... More information would be needed.
JSpero1162
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39

Re: Translation of Profession for 4X ggf

Post by JSpero1162 »

Thank you. I have found quite a few records for Giachino Spera, including his vital records and those of his children. He was married twice and I have the marriage allegati for both marriages. He had two children reach adulthood from his first marriage and I have the marriage allegati for them as well. I am currently working on the children from his second marriage. From all the birth, marriage and death records, I have only found two references with the military -- the birth record for his son in 1835, mentioned above, and and the record for his second marriage. The second marriage record mentions Giachino's occupation as Possidente/Landowner and has two witnesses with military occupations.

Are there other records I should be looking for?

I'm not sure where to even start looking for military records for the Kingdom of Two Sicilies.

Any help or guidance would be most appreciated. Thank you
Post Reply