Need Help

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Need Help

Post by mfjp »

MARCVS wrote:And we dont know how her name was originally spelled..it could have been either Landretto,Landretta,Landretti or similar,any help would be much appreciated,The people on the ship anglocised it to Landreth.

Salut!
MS
Hi MS...

Just a couple+ of questions... the manifest I linked earlier on is probably what you originally based your information on... at the beginning of your post....

Is this correct??

Do you still think it is her manifest....?? If so... more info can be found based on the info provided on this manifest.

The Ellis Island transcribers obviously mis-transcribed her name... but I can't tell you when this record was transcribed either...

I am having a hard time thinking that this manifest is the document that could have... changed her name from Andretta to Landreth... need opinions here... I'm learning here with you MS...

We have to be careful not to make hastey decisions... or by making claims that manifests linked to your post are of your Grandmother... there is still more info out there that can be researched...

Maria
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Need Help

Post by wldspirit »

If the father was born in Pennsylvania, we can look more closely at that state.
Do you have his birth record? If not, send for it. Obtaining any source material on your father may yield clues about his mother.
I take it he was born out of wedlock? This was socially unacceptable back in the day, so that could be one possibility as to why everything was a secret.
Both ships manifest are spelled correctly, which is a plus......usually the name is badly mangled on the actual manifest, or during the transcription it is mistaken for something else.......
Without looking back, did you mention your fathers name? This will help to identify Maria in any source records we may find....and don't worry......it's all a matter of public record.
We've solved tougher mysteries........check out Gertrude!!!!!!!!
wldspirit :wink:
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Need Help

Post by wldspirit »

One more question.....does your father have an older sister?
wldspirit
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need Help

Post by suanj »

MARCVS wrote:
wldspirit wrote:Is this your ancestor?

Social Security Death Index Record
about Maria Landreth
Name: Maria Landreth
SSN: 179-36-7498
Last Residence: 19102 Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Born: 3 Nov 1888
Died: Jun 1978
State (Year) SSN issued: Pennsylvania (1962 )

wldspirit
Interesting that and the other info the others gave,but not sure if this is the same person,My father only knew his mother-Maria Landreth and he wasn't sure who his father was(he must have been a secret to the family) or if he had any other relatives in the states..only that she was from Italy and the other info I gave..My father was born In Philly,but I wasnt..I was born in Tennessee and only got to see her about 2 times before she died and I was young...Heck Im not even sure where she's buried.Another crappy situation is that she never taught him any Italian or told him much about where she was from..all that family heritage lost..Maybe thats why she kept the name Landreth instead of the Italian form..to sound more American...Who knows.


Thanks everyone for the help!
You Guys are Great!

Marcus
Marcus, for a clarity bit:
-what is the surname your father?
-LANDRETTA is birthsurname of Maria or no?

well if yes, this surname in this right spelling is of Acerra town( it don't are in other italy part because Landretta surname was originated in Acerra)

-more: if your Maria Landreth was italian and emigrated, well Landreth don't exist, is not a italian surname, so it must be Landretta right! and before of to make confusion here on your post for little knowdlege of italian surnames, is better to be sure abt the surname. About the ship's manifest that I found I'm most sure that could be your ancestor and I know what I say..

-you can say us the Maria's husband name?

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Need Help

Post by wldspirit »

Suanj, I will leave the manifest and name to those who know better...... :wink:

But, I can find no trace of this Maria without some info to correctly identify her.......if you need me to look up something let me know....... :D

Hugs,
DeLisa
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need Help

Post by suanj »

wldspirit wrote:Suanj, I will leave the manifest and name to those who know better...... :wink:

But, I can find no trace of this Maria without some info to correctly identify her.......if you need me to look up something let me know....... :D

Hugs,
DeLisa
Hi Lisa for to correctly identify is necessary to know the husband name or almost a son name... if Marcus say us this infos almost, we can search better... I believe that Maria Landretta, italian when in USA married and she must be in 1920 census for sure.. if we will have the husband name and we find it on the census well we will know also the birthyear and immigration year of Maria...! many kisses, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
MARCVS
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 08 Jun 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Need Help

Post by MARCVS »

My fathers name was Ray Landreth.
His mother was Maria Landreth/Landrett(i)(a),she didnt marry.
I never found out who his father was or if she had any other family in the states.I dont know who her parents were.Only that she came from Italy by ship from Naples.
That and the info I GAVE above is all I have..
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Need Help

Post by vj »

Another lead? sister? from suanj's manifest for Maria LANDRETTA?

SS Madonna 31 May 1913
note on Maria Landretta's manifest - traveling with sister pg 30/24
Giuseppa LANDRETTA & children (TROTTA not DeLuca??)
note: father in Acerra is Francesco
lines 24-28 (on page 30 of manifest)
page 1
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0025
page 2
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0025
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

possible census related to 1913 manifest for Maria LANDRETTA
brother-in-law TROTTA? & sister Giuseppa LANDRETTA?
on Liberty Street in Southington CT
note boarder???

1910 US Census
Southington, Hartford, CT
Liberty St
Quona DROTTI (TROTTA?), 30 yrs old (abt 1879), married 5 yrs (abt 1904), immig 1904 Al,
furnace man - iron mill, rents house
wife Pepina, 26 yrs old (abt 1883), 4 children born/living, immig 1904
(children all born in CT)
daughter Philomena, 5 yrs old (abt 1904)
daughter Arminia, 3 yrs old (abt 1906)
daughter Ellen, 2 yrs old (abt 1908)
son Antonio, 2 mos old )abt 1909)
boarder Anina ANDRETTO??, 18 yrs old (abt 1891), immig 1908
------------------------------------------------------------------------
related 25 May 1904 Manifest SS Konigen Luise
Cuomo TROTTA, 28 yrs old (abt 1875)
wife Giuseppa LANDRETTA, 21 yrs old (abt 1882)
from Acerra, going to Southington CT, joining godfather Titto Alto?
in US in Southington 1899-1903
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0011
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Need Help

Post by nuccia »

Here's the link for the 1910 census vj provided above...

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/1636/imagex8ei.gif

Nuccia
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Need Help

Post by mfjp »

Hoping that Ray was named after his Grandfather...

Ray (Raimondo)....

maria
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need Help

Post by suanj »

Hi Valerie and Nuccia great find, I believe that is right...
-Giuseppa Landretta married to Cuomo Trotta
-Annina Landretta probable married to Nicola de Luca ( in 1910 census Annina again single so is possible that she married between 1910 and 1913)
-Maria Landretta no married.. I believe that Maria after some year moved in PA... and had Ray.

Landretta surname is right spelling, this surname is from Acerra, so no error about this.. and very rare.....the problem is the error birthyear... 1888 or 1892.. ?in the ship's manifest I read Maria age 21 ... :roll:

now if we can find Maria in the 1920 census..
Also Ralph Landretta is another family member, brother of Maria, Giuseppa and Annina; he came in 1912 born in Acerra and last residence is Cervino( very near Acerra), and in Cervino was Francesco father; Raffaele came in Chicago ( in chicago already was Salvatore age 28 in 1906), the second page of ship's manifest is illegible, and I cannot read in Chicago the relative's name.... Francesco father, after a short permanence in Cervino, back in Acerra in 1913, because so in the ship's manifest of Maria and Giuseppa (Peppina diminutive)...

-In 1930 census Ralph Landretta also was in Connecticut:

1930 United States Federal Census Record
Census
View Image Name: Ralph Landretta
Birth: abt 1895 - location
Residence: 1930 - city, Hartford, Connecticut

this is the same person of ship's manifest...

also Annunziata and Antonio Landretta ( 1 ship's manifest page 1 and page 2 ( he joining to Cuomo Trotta brother in law and second ship's manifest page 1 and page 2 are siblings of Maria, Giuseppa, Raffaele, Annina.. I cannot find Annina ship's manifest.. also the sister Maria Addolorata also came in Connecticut in 1920, joining Antonio Tavolozzi brother in law, pratically was a little families number of LANDRETTA surname, perhaps only 1 (I no searched about this): Francesco in Acerra, resident in 6 Pace street, that had so many children and emigrated in USA.....

this is the Maria family of origin... if we can find the censuses about Maria and Ray ( as the Maria loved man?) child we will know more...
best regards, suanj

ps: last update Anna (Annina) Landretta ship's manifest
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Need Help

Post by nuccia »

Not sure if 1930 census suanj found is already linked or if needed but I'll link it anyway...just in case.

1930 United States Federal Census Recordinfo
about Ralph Landretta
Name: Ralph Landretta
Age: 35
Estimated birth year: abt 1895
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Rose Landretta
Race: White
Home in 1930: Southington, Hartford, Connecticut

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9756/imagex3oz.gif

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need Help

Post by suanj »

nuccia wrote:Not sure if 1930 census suanj found is already linked or if needed but I'll link it anyway...just in case.

1930 United States Federal Census Recordinfo
about Ralph Landretta
Name: Ralph Landretta
Age: 35
Estimated birth year: abt 1895
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Rose Landretta
Race: White
Home in 1930: Southington, Hartford, Connecticut

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9756/imagex3oz.gif

Nuccia
Hi Nuccia thak you so much, yes is Ralph Landretta right.. the first son is Frank as the grandfather! perfect! this is the family, now we must to search Maria in the censuses... I don't know when ray born, but born in Phila.. so also Maria must be in phila census... kisses, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
MARCVS
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 08 Jun 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Need Help

Post by MARCVS »

Thanks everyone for the Help,but none of those manifests really help out any..some dont even seem to be related to the others..

Thanks anyway..
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need Help

Post by suanj »

Marcus, but what you say.. this is your Maria Landretta and this ship's manifest are abt the siblings. Are only 1 Maria Landretta age 21 from Acerra and is this found.
If you are not able for to recognize your ancestor in this ship's manifest well you must to search other details in USA.. this search is concluded for me.
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply