Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
simsamsim
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 10 Oct 2019, 21:56
Location: London, England

Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting

Post by simsamsim »

Hello, I am trying to identify the officer in this painting. I have some information but can't get there... Please help.
As the photos show, writing on the back says something like:
Longino capitano di Gianoglio 9 Marzo 1821
VE1

I think maybe the writing is later, and was copied from an original note on the back which is now missing.
"VE1" is because it was painting during the reign of Victor Emanuele I.
Gianoglio may be Gianolio, a village in Piemonte. That's all I know really!
Do you think the writing says what I think it does?
Is there anything distinctive about the uniform maybe?
Officer - Full.jpg
Officer - Name.jpg
IMG_1867.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting

Post by suanj »

Gianoglio is a hamlet of Cherasco town, Cuneo, Piedmont, IT
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting

Post by Tessa78 »

I think that the first word written is "Cugino" - not Longino [Cousin]

T.
simsamsim
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 10 Oct 2019, 21:56
Location: London, England

Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting

Post by simsamsim »

Hi Tessa78, thanks - do you whether Cugino is also a family name? (I’ll check this).
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting

Post by Tessa78 »

simsamsim wrote: 14 Mar 2021, 19:57 Hi Tessa78, thanks - do you whether Cugino is also a family name? (I’ll check this).
It does exist as a surname, but in very small numbers today in Piedmont region

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognom ... monte.html

T.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting

Post by suanj »

No it is wrote Longino..
However these infos can be searched just in local area, in libraries or archive. Maybe a local historian can recognize it..
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
simsamsim
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 10 Oct 2019, 21:56
Location: London, England

Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting

Post by simsamsim »

Thanks suanj
simsamsim
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 10 Oct 2019, 21:56
Location: London, England

Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting

Post by simsamsim »

suanj (and others) - In your view, does it say "Gianoglio" or "Granaglio"?

Granaglio(ne), a town/cluster of villages near Bologna.
Gianoglio / Gianolio, a village in Cuneo, Piemonte.
7C68E6A4-B4B5-4C90-BFAD-F1E2CB0E1582.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting

Post by suanj »

simsamsim wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 21:45 suanj (and others) - In your view, does it say "Gianoglio" or "Granaglio"?

Granaglio(ne), a town/cluster of villages near Bologna.
Gianoglio / Gianolio, a village in Cuneo, Piemonte.

7C68E6A4-B4B5-4C90-BFAD-F1E2CB0E1582.jpeg
Gianoglio| Right!
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting

Post by suanj »

the photo is a pictur of a oil portrait.. I don't see the artist signature.. you can see..?
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
simsamsim
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 10 Oct 2019, 21:56
Location: London, England

Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting

Post by simsamsim »

hi suanj, no I don't know the artist's name unfortunately. The only writing on the back is what I've shared.
Thanks
Post Reply