Hello, I am trying to identify the officer in this painting. I have some information but can't get there... Please help.
As the photos show, writing on the back says something like:
Longino capitano di Gianoglio 9 Marzo 1821
VE1
I think maybe the writing is later, and was copied from an original note on the back which is now missing.
"VE1" is because it was painting during the reign of Victor Emanuele I.
Gianoglio may be Gianolio, a village in Piemonte. That's all I know really!
Do you think the writing says what I think it does?
Is there anything distinctive about the uniform maybe?
Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting
Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting
Gianoglio is a hamlet of Cherasco town, Cuneo, Piedmont, IT
suanj
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting
I think that the first word written is "Cugino" - not Longino [Cousin]
T.
T.
Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting
Hi Tessa78, thanks - do you whether Cugino is also a family name? (I’ll check this).
Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting
It does exist as a surname, but in very small numbers today in Piedmont regionsimsamsim wrote: 14 Mar 2021, 19:57 Hi Tessa78, thanks - do you whether Cugino is also a family name? (I’ll check this).
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognom ... monte.html
T.
Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting
No it is wrote Longino..
However these infos can be searched just in local area, in libraries or archive. Maybe a local historian can recognize it..
suanj
However these infos can be searched just in local area, in libraries or archive. Maybe a local historian can recognize it..
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting
suanj (and others) - In your view, does it say "Gianoglio" or "Granaglio"?
Granaglio(ne), a town/cluster of villages near Bologna.
Gianoglio / Gianolio, a village in Cuneo, Piemonte.
Granaglio(ne), a town/cluster of villages near Bologna.
Gianoglio / Gianolio, a village in Cuneo, Piemonte.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting
Gianoglio| Right!simsamsim wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 21:45 suanj (and others) - In your view, does it say "Gianoglio" or "Granaglio"?
Granaglio(ne), a town/cluster of villages near Bologna.
Gianoglio / Gianolio, a village in Cuneo, Piemonte.
7C68E6A4-B4B5-4C90-BFAD-F1E2CB0E1582.jpeg
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting
the photo is a pictur of a oil portrait.. I don't see the artist signature.. you can see..?
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Capitano di Gianoglio 1821 - Identifying a painting
hi suanj, no I don't know the artist's name unfortunately. The only writing on the back is what I've shared.
Thanks
Thanks


