American Naturalization
Re: American Naturalization
I just found this on the official site of the INS, and unfortunately, there may be another problem. This was under the question: Am I a citizen if one of my parents was born in Italy?
3) Through birth abroad to ONE United States citizen
In most cases, you are a U.S. citizen if ALL of the following are true:
One of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born;
Your citizen parent lived at least 5 years in the United States before
you were born; and
At least 2 of these 5 years in the United States were after your
citizen parent's 14th birthday*.
Your record of birth abroad, if registered with a U.S. consulate or embassy, is proof of your citizenship. You may also apply for a passport to have your citizenship recognized. If you need additional proof of your citizenship, you may file an "Application for Certificate of Citizenship" (Form N-600) with USCIS to get a Certificate of Citizenship.
*If you were born before November 14, 1986, you are a citizen if your U.S. citizen parent lived in the United States for at least 10 years and 5 of those years in the United States were after your citizen parent's 14th birthday.
So, Francesco, there's another two questions. Did your grandfather and your father live in the U.S. for any period of time? If so, when?
There are different rules if both parents were citizens, but your great grandmother naturalized too late to help.
3) Through birth abroad to ONE United States citizen
In most cases, you are a U.S. citizen if ALL of the following are true:
One of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born;
Your citizen parent lived at least 5 years in the United States before
you were born; and
At least 2 of these 5 years in the United States were after your
citizen parent's 14th birthday*.
Your record of birth abroad, if registered with a U.S. consulate or embassy, is proof of your citizenship. You may also apply for a passport to have your citizenship recognized. If you need additional proof of your citizenship, you may file an "Application for Certificate of Citizenship" (Form N-600) with USCIS to get a Certificate of Citizenship.
*If you were born before November 14, 1986, you are a citizen if your U.S. citizen parent lived in the United States for at least 10 years and 5 of those years in the United States were after your citizen parent's 14th birthday.
So, Francesco, there's another two questions. Did your grandfather and your father live in the U.S. for any period of time? If so, when?
There are different rules if both parents were citizens, but your great grandmother naturalized too late to help.
Re: American Naturalization
Francesco,
This is the application form you would need to fill out.
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/n-600.htm
You would be trying to claim citizenship based on the citizenship of a parent (your father), who claims citizenship based on the citizenship of his parent (your grandfather).
The big problem is proving U.S. residence because the U.S. wants you to submit proof of this with your application. I think you can do this for your great grandfather, but it seems from what you tell us, that you will have difficulty showing this for your grandfather and your father.
I hope this all works out for you, Francesco, but if you can't claim citizenship through your family, there are other ways as well so don't give up.
This is the application form you would need to fill out.
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/n-600.htm
You would be trying to claim citizenship based on the citizenship of a parent (your father), who claims citizenship based on the citizenship of his parent (your grandfather).
The big problem is proving U.S. residence because the U.S. wants you to submit proof of this with your application. I think you can do this for your great grandfather, but it seems from what you tell us, that you will have difficulty showing this for your grandfather and your father.
I hope this all works out for you, Francesco, but if you can't claim citizenship through your family, there are other ways as well so don't give up.
Re: American Naturalization
About my grandfather i dont know much. I know only that i was going in U.S. when he can when i was married. Before his marriage i dont know nothing.mler wrote: So, Francesco, there's another two questions. Did your grandfather and your father live in the U.S. for any period of time? If so, when?
There are different rules if both parents were citizens, but your great grandmother naturalized too late to help.
My father, still in italy and i going in U.S. only for 2 months or something like this for 3 o 4 (when i going too) years...discontinued, ofcourse.
Now I have lost all the hopes to be naturalized with my parents.
I want to give all my thanks to this forum and to this website...
God bless you forumist. (Me too )
Re: American Naturalization
Don't give up so quickly. If your grandfather was in the U.S. for a period of time, you may be able to find records to prove this. Then your father can apply for citizenship. (Of course, this is assuming that your great grandfather was naturalized.)
Why is this important? If your father is a citizen, he can sponsor you.
So don't give up unless you have to. Try to find out if and when your grandfather lived in the U.S. and for how long. It may be enough time to make your father eligible.
This may seem like "grasping at straws" (trying to do something very very difficult), but you'll never know unless you check it out.
Why is this important? If your father is a citizen, he can sponsor you.
So don't give up unless you have to. Try to find out if and when your grandfather lived in the U.S. and for how long. It may be enough time to make your father eligible.
This may seem like "grasping at straws" (trying to do something very very difficult), but you'll never know unless you check it out.
Re: American Naturalization
mler,
This explains alot...my grandmother was born in the US but went back to Italy when she was 2 or 3 years old with her mom. Her dad remained. When she returned to the US in 1950 she had to apply for naturalization...she was not considered a citizen although my aunt who was only 14 was able to claim citizenship through her grandfather because of the length of time he resided there and because she was a minor. Does this make sense. Thanks to you I have been able to answer a question which has been bothering me for quite a while.
raven, you may be too old to claim through them but there may be some other loophole. Keep trying...
Nuccia
This explains alot...my grandmother was born in the US but went back to Italy when she was 2 or 3 years old with her mom. Her dad remained. When she returned to the US in 1950 she had to apply for naturalization...she was not considered a citizen although my aunt who was only 14 was able to claim citizenship through her grandfather because of the length of time he resided there and because she was a minor. Does this make sense. Thanks to you I have been able to answer a question which has been bothering me for quite a while.
raven, you may be too old to claim through them but there may be some other loophole. Keep trying...
Nuccia
Re: American Naturalization
Sorry, something came up......anyway, thank you for the kind words.
The "nice lady" could find no paperwork on the great grandfather, except his death noted in Maria's file. She checked for his given name as well as the name Louis......that is why I typed off the other Vollero's, in case one ot those names may mean something.
DeLisa
The "nice lady" could find no paperwork on the great grandfather, except his death noted in Maria's file. She checked for his given name as well as the name Louis......that is why I typed off the other Vollero's, in case one ot those names may mean something.
DeLisa
- truestarmen
- Newbie

- Posts: 2
- Joined: 24 Jun 2006, 00:00
- Location: Argentina Buenos Aires
Re: American Naturalization
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hola!!! Busco información sobre mi abuelo nacido el año 1878 Región de Calabria sus padres Giuseppe Grillo y Filomena Desimone, vino a la Argentina el 10 de octubre de 1899, se embarcó en Napoles el dÃÂa 18 de septiembre, en el barco Espagne, en tercera clase.
Se caso en Italia con MarÃÂa Rosa Cristina Fazio, mientras el venia a la Argentina, nacia en Italia su primera hija Josefina. Su esposa y su hija vinieron a la Argentina dos o tres años más tarde.
Sus hermanos se llaman: Domenico Grillo nacido el año 1874, Michele Grillo nacido el año 1883. Mi mail matiasdamiangrillo@hotmail.com
Hola!!! Busco información sobre mi abuelo nacido el año 1878 Región de Calabria sus padres Giuseppe Grillo y Filomena Desimone, vino a la Argentina el 10 de octubre de 1899, se embarcó en Napoles el dÃÂa 18 de septiembre, en el barco Espagne, en tercera clase.
Se caso en Italia con MarÃÂa Rosa Cristina Fazio, mientras el venia a la Argentina, nacia en Italia su primera hija Josefina. Su esposa y su hija vinieron a la Argentina dos o tres años más tarde.
Sus hermanos se llaman: Domenico Grillo nacido el año 1874, Michele Grillo nacido el año 1883. Mi mail matiasdamiangrillo@hotmail.com
Re: American Naturalization
Francesco, may I suggest one more thing. Every year the U.S. conducts a lottery for green cards, and I believe Italian citizens are eligible. A green card allows you to legally live and work in the U.S., and after five years you can apply for citizenship.
The lottery usually takes place in October and ends in December. So, the 2007 lottery is already over, but in October there will be a new lottery for 2008. You and your father might want to consider applying--you never know what can happen. If one of you gets here legally, it may well be possible to get the immediate family here too. I'm posting the website here (from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service).
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/divlott.htm#elig
The lottery usually takes place in October and ends in December. So, the 2007 lottery is already over, but in October there will be a new lottery for 2008. You and your father might want to consider applying--you never know what can happen. If one of you gets here legally, it may well be possible to get the immediate family here too. I'm posting the website here (from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service).
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/divlott.htm#elig
Re: American Naturalization
Well, you and the other person in this forum do all that is possible to help me. Sincerely thanks to all. My great grandfather son, have the same name of the father, Luis.wldspirit wrote:Sorry, something came up......anyway, thank you for the kind words.
The "nice lady" could find no paperwork on the great grandfather, except his death noted in Maria's file. She checked for his given name as well as the name Louis......that is why I typed off the other Vollero's, in case one ot those names may mean something.
DeLisa
Re: American Naturalization
mler thanks for this suggestion. I know this but i'm not soo lucky to winmler wrote:Francesco, may I suggest one more thing. Every year the U.S. conducts a lottery for green cards, and I believe Italian citizens are eligible. A green card allows you to legally live and work in the U.S., and after five years you can apply for citizenship.
The lottery usually takes place in October and ends in December. So, the 2007 lottery is already over, but in October there will be a new lottery for 2008. You and your father might want to consider applying--you never know what can happen. If one of you gets here legally, it may well be possible to get the immediate family here too. I'm posting the website here (from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service).
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/divlott.htm#elig
Re: American Naturalization
Matias que no eso post no es el topico justo. Es mejor si escribes un nuevo topico en eso mismo Forum. Sino ninguno te puede ayudar como ellos hiceron conmigo. Tambien creo que seria mejor si tu escribes en ingles porque no todos pueden entender el españoltruestarmen wrote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hola!!! Busco información sobre mi abuelo nacido el año 1878 Región de Calabria sus padres Giuseppe Grillo y Filomena Desimone, vino a la Argentina el 10 de octubre de 1899, se embarcó en Napoles el dÃÂa 18 de septiembre, en el barco Espagne, en tercera clase.
Se caso en Italia con MarÃÂa Rosa Cristina Fazio, mientras el venia a la Argentina, nacia en Italia su primera hija Josefina. Su esposa y su hija vinieron a la Argentina dos o tres años más tarde.
Sus hermanos se llaman: Domenico Grillo nacido el año 1874, Michele Grillo nacido el año 1883. Mi mail matiasdamiangrillo@hotmail.com
Saludos, Francesco.
Re: American Naturalization
Maybe the old Sicilian woman had a bad experience.......America is both good and bad.......but we here at ItalianGenealogy, we are Italians in Italy and Italian desendants from all over the world.
All my family is from the Marche.....more than anything I want to visit there.....but I to am not so lucky........life keeps getting in the way.........but I hope. Never give up hope and dreams......
Mler......you have more experience with citizenship than I do.......but if one of Raven's ancestors was born in America.....does that not give him any rights? I know part of the debate over Mexican illegals is that they come across the border and give birth here.....making their children US citizens.........
DeLisa
All my family is from the Marche.....more than anything I want to visit there.....but I to am not so lucky........life keeps getting in the way.........but I hope. Never give up hope and dreams......
Mler......you have more experience with citizenship than I do.......but if one of Raven's ancestors was born in America.....does that not give him any rights? I know part of the debate over Mexican illegals is that they come across the border and give birth here.....making their children US citizens.........
DeLisa
Re: American Naturalization
I think that i have no right because i'm italian. I want to understand why if my roots are half in italy and half in U.S., i have no rights? I dont know why my grandpa not lived in U.S. and lived in Locri, Reggio Calabria, and i cant tell because i never knowed. I only need to wait the lucky strike to be what I am. I know that my great grandpa never want to come again in Italy to stay.
yes wldspirit, "Never give up hope and dreams......" It's true, for this reason I hope that I can do something.
yes wldspirit, "Never give up hope and dreams......" It's true, for this reason I hope that I can do something.
Re: American Naturalization
Sorry raven, if I had the chance I would live in Locri too at least half the year!
My mothers grandfather refused to come back to Italy too with his wife and children. He loved America and chose to stay there alone. I guess we'll never know why..my guess it was the opportunity. A richer country.
I will try to call my aunt in New York this weekend and see what happened with her and how exactly she was able to get her citizenship.. maybe some of the circumstances will apply to you..
Don't give up, yet, Ok?
Here's my original thread..
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =3829.html
Nuccia
My mothers grandfather refused to come back to Italy too with his wife and children. He loved America and chose to stay there alone. I guess we'll never know why..my guess it was the opportunity. A richer country.
I will try to call my aunt in New York this weekend and see what happened with her and how exactly she was able to get her citizenship.. maybe some of the circumstances will apply to you..
Don't give up, yet, Ok?
Here's my original thread..
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =3829.html
Nuccia
Re: American Naturalization
Locri is a beautiful place, have the sun, the beach, the sun and the Mafia problems too, sincerely you can live there without problems but is more difficult because if you dont know italian, you cant do nothing 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raven-razorinc/ here you can find a fotos of Locri views and http://raven.lilik.it/foto/Locri/ here you can find fotos that i can do because I miss so much Locri
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raven-razorinc/ here you can find a fotos of Locri views and http://raven.lilik.it/foto/Locri/ here you can find fotos that i can do because I miss so much Locri



