Death Certificates for 1948 Cases

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
JTSD20
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 52
Joined: 18 Jan 2022, 02:27

Death Certificates for 1948 Cases

Post by JTSD20 »

Hi guys, I've been having difficulties in obtaining a few documents. My ICA representative said worst case scenario we can omit one or more death certificates. I know she's the expert in all this, but I wanted to reach out here too - Has anyone had success in their 1948 case with a death certificate omitted from their application?
afecad
Elite
Elite
Posts: 341
Joined: 09 Sep 2020, 21:34
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Death Certificates for 1948 Cases

Post by afecad »

Fortunately, I had no issues locating death certs and I actually pulled these prior to retaining ICA. ICA is quite through in doing searches and providing solutions to solve most anything. What state and county did your ancestors live in?
JTSD20
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 52
Joined: 18 Jan 2022, 02:27

Re: Death Certificates for 1948 Cases

Post by JTSD20 »

My ancestors moved around a lot - I'm in the process of sending vital records requests to several states in the Southern US after getting a letter of no record in Florida. I'm hopeful that we can find everything.
afecad
Elite
Elite
Posts: 341
Joined: 09 Sep 2020, 21:34
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Death Certificates for 1948 Cases

Post by afecad »

JTSD20 wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 20:23 My ancestors moved around a lot - I'm in the process of sending vital records requests to several states in the Southern US after getting a letter of no record in Florida. I'm hopeful that we can find everything.
I see, I'm guessing you tried VitalChek?

https://www.vitalchek.com/order_main.as ... type=DEATH#

Another suggestion, if not already tried. Sign-up for Newspapers.com, they have a free 7-day full access trial. I found many obituaries on that site all over the US for many of my ancestors.

https://www.newspapers.com/
JTSD20
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 52
Joined: 18 Jan 2022, 02:27

Re: Death Certificates for 1948 Cases

Post by JTSD20 »

That's a great idea!

I had used Vital Check but now I'm ordering from each State directly. Those extra fees for VitalCheck are adding up.
User avatar
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 181
Joined: 18 Jan 2021, 02:42
Location: USA

Re: Death Certificates for 1948 Cases

Post by qualdom »

JTSD20 wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 18:18 Has anyone had success in their 1948 case with a death certificate omitted from their application?
I've had consultations with several lawyers that do not include death certificates in the case file.

My guess is that ICA's approach is to include as many documents as possible to as to leave no room for doubt regarding the petitioner's lineage, which is a good idea in my opinion.

I'm gathering every possible document that I can find to prove my lineage....and getting them all certified and apostilled......I'm not taking any chances.

But I've dealt with a dual citizenship case in another European country......and the only truth is that if someone wants to deny you, they are going to deny you irrespective of the soundness of your case.
JTSD20
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 52
Joined: 18 Jan 2022, 02:27

Re: Death Certificates for 1948 Cases

Post by JTSD20 »

qualdom wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 00:20
JTSD20 wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 18:18 Has anyone had success in their 1948 case with a death certificate omitted from their application?
I've had consultations with several lawyers that do not include death certificates in the case file.

My guess is that ICA's approach is to include as many documents as possible to as to leave no room for doubt regarding the petitioner's lineage, which is a good idea in my opinion.
Yes definitely a good idea. I'm going to try my hardest to find everything, especially since we are still waiting on other documents I have time.
afecad
Elite
Elite
Posts: 341
Joined: 09 Sep 2020, 21:34
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Death Certificates for 1948 Cases

Post by afecad »

Good luck! ICA has nearly every document for my case and it helped that I did prior record searches before I retained them as it helped speed up the process. If you have to deal with any small county courthouses searching for documentation, it can be slow especially due to Covid.
Post Reply