How can I locate where in Italy my Great Grandfather is from?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
Marcwalloch86
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 14 May 2025, 01:46

How can I locate where in Italy my Great Grandfather is from?

Post by Marcwalloch86 »

Hello-
I'm trying to visit the region in Italy where my mother's paternal side of the family is from as I've always felt connected to that thread of our family tree. He died the month before I was born so my mother named my middle name after him.

His name was
Paul Frank Alberti born in Italy August 2 1902
Died April 10 1986 Chicago, IL

Apparently he came to the U.S. when he was around 2 years old so 1904?
He was married to Josephine Vitacco

Some of my family say Paul was from the Abruzzo region but I've heard many other conflicting things like genoa, noterthern Italy, etc..

According to ancestry.com it say his father Michael Alberti was from Vigani Italy and his mother Marie Caputo was from Saponaradi Grumento Potenza, Basilicata

Can someone point me to a place or person that can help me locate where this man was from in Italy.
Thank you!
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5841
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: How can I locate where in Italy my Great Grandfather is from?

Post by PippoM »

This might be him:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... -157051-82

The town mentioned doesn't seem to exist, it must have been misspelled, but it can be a starting point.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5841
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: How can I locate where in Italy my Great Grandfather is from?

Post by PippoM »

And this might be his ship manifest in 1910:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 4-90360-50

If this is the right one, he was from Viggiano, province of Potenza.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: How can I locate where in Italy my Great Grandfather is from?

Post by Tessa78 »

Birth in Viggiano on 16 August 1903 of Francesco Paolo Alberti
#97
Father: Michele Viggiano [son of Vincenzo], age 34, peasant farmer
Mother: Maria Caputi, age 28
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 70&lang=en

T.
Farassino
Master
Master
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 May 2024, 17:05

Re: How can I locate where in Italy my Great Grandfather is from?

Post by Farassino »

Tessa78 wrote: 16 May 2025, 14:57 Birth in Viggiano on 16 August 1902 of Francesco Paolo Alberti
#97
Father: Michele Alberti [son of Vincenzo], age 34, peasant farmer
Mother: Maria Caputi, age 28
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 70&lang=en

T.

Sorry T.
I feel a bit embarrassed in correcting you. :oops:
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: How can I locate where in Italy my Great Grandfather is from?

Post by Tessa78 »

HAHAHAHAHA :lol:

What a lapse of concentration on my part! :oops:

Non preoccuparti! Correct anytime, Farassino!

T.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: How can I locate where in Italy my Great Grandfather is from?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

This looks to be the marriage record of Francesco Paolo Alberti's parents. Father, Michele was born in Moliterno, and as intimated mother Maria Caputi was born in Saponara Grumento (today Grumento Nova).

1892 Marriage No 3: Michele Alberti and Maria Caputi

Saponara di Grumento – 21 January 1892

Groom: Michele Alberti, 24 yo, contadino, born and residing in Moliterno, son of Vincenzo (Alberti) and of Caterina Tempone, residing in Moliterno.

Bride: Maria Caputi, 19 yo, contadina, born in and residing in Saponara di Grumento, daughter of Francesco Paolo (Caputi), and of Raffaella Tucci, both residing this town.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... =en&i=1858


Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: How can I locate where in Italy my Great Grandfather is from?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

In case you are still interested, here is Michele Alberti's birth record which I located just after his marriage record above but was unable to post at the time:

Birth No 109: Michele Alberti
Registered Moliterno on 20 May 1868

Michele Alberti was born on 19 May 1868, to Caterina Tempone, daughter of the deceased Giuseppe, 22 yo, wife of Vincenzo Alberti, the son of Michele Alberti, 24 yo, a day labourer.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 59&lang=en


Angela
Post Reply