Hello-
I'm trying to visit the region in Italy where my mother's paternal side of the family is from as I've always felt connected to that thread of our family tree. He died the month before I was born so my mother named my middle name after him.
His name was
Paul Frank Alberti born in Italy August 2 1902
Died April 10 1986 Chicago, IL
Apparently he came to the U.S. when he was around 2 years old so 1904?
He was married to Josephine Vitacco
Some of my family say Paul was from the Abruzzo region but I've heard many other conflicting things like genoa, noterthern Italy, etc..
According to ancestry.com it say his father Michael Alberti was from Vigani Italy and his mother Marie Caputo was from Saponaradi Grumento Potenza, Basilicata
Can someone point me to a place or person that can help me locate where this man was from in Italy.
Thank you!
How can I locate where in Italy my Great Grandfather is from?
-
Marcwalloch86
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 14 May 2025, 01:46
Re: How can I locate where in Italy my Great Grandfather is from?
This might be him:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... -157051-82
The town mentioned doesn't seem to exist, it must have been misspelled, but it can be a starting point.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... -157051-82
The town mentioned doesn't seem to exist, it must have been misspelled, but it can be a starting point.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: How can I locate where in Italy my Great Grandfather is from?
And this might be his ship manifest in 1910:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 4-90360-50
If this is the right one, he was from Viggiano, province of Potenza.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 4-90360-50
If this is the right one, he was from Viggiano, province of Potenza.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: How can I locate where in Italy my Great Grandfather is from?
Birth in Viggiano on 16 August 1903 of Francesco Paolo Alberti
#97
Father: Michele Viggiano [son of Vincenzo], age 34, peasant farmer
Mother: Maria Caputi, age 28
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 70&lang=en
T.
#97
Father: Michele Viggiano [son of Vincenzo], age 34, peasant farmer
Mother: Maria Caputi, age 28
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 70&lang=en
T.
Re: How can I locate where in Italy my Great Grandfather is from?
Tessa78 wrote: 16 May 2025, 14:57 Birth in Viggiano on 16 August 1902 of Francesco Paolo Alberti
#97
Father: Michele Alberti [son of Vincenzo], age 34, peasant farmer
Mother: Maria Caputi, age 28
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 70&lang=en
T.
Sorry T.
I feel a bit embarrassed in correcting you.
Re: How can I locate where in Italy my Great Grandfather is from?
HAHAHAHAHA
What a lapse of concentration on my part!
Non preoccuparti! Correct anytime, Farassino!
T.
What a lapse of concentration on my part!
Non preoccuparti! Correct anytime, Farassino!
T.
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: How can I locate where in Italy my Great Grandfather is from?
This looks to be the marriage record of Francesco Paolo Alberti's parents. Father, Michele was born in Moliterno, and as intimated mother Maria Caputi was born in Saponara Grumento (today Grumento Nova).
1892 Marriage No 3: Michele Alberti and Maria Caputi
Saponara di Grumento – 21 January 1892
Groom: Michele Alberti, 24 yo, contadino, born and residing in Moliterno, son of Vincenzo (Alberti) and of Caterina Tempone, residing in Moliterno.
Bride: Maria Caputi, 19 yo, contadina, born in and residing in Saponara di Grumento, daughter of Francesco Paolo (Caputi), and of Raffaella Tucci, both residing this town.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... =en&i=1858
Angela
1892 Marriage No 3: Michele Alberti and Maria Caputi
Saponara di Grumento – 21 January 1892
Groom: Michele Alberti, 24 yo, contadino, born and residing in Moliterno, son of Vincenzo (Alberti) and of Caterina Tempone, residing in Moliterno.
Bride: Maria Caputi, 19 yo, contadina, born in and residing in Saponara di Grumento, daughter of Francesco Paolo (Caputi), and of Raffaella Tucci, both residing this town.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... =en&i=1858
Angela
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: How can I locate where in Italy my Great Grandfather is from?
In case you are still interested, here is Michele Alberti's birth record which I located just after his marriage record above but was unable to post at the time:
Birth No 109: Michele Alberti
Registered Moliterno on 20 May 1868
Michele Alberti was born on 19 May 1868, to Caterina Tempone, daughter of the deceased Giuseppe, 22 yo, wife of Vincenzo Alberti, the son of Michele Alberti, 24 yo, a day labourer.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 59&lang=en
Angela
Birth No 109: Michele Alberti
Registered Moliterno on 20 May 1868
Michele Alberti was born on 19 May 1868, to Caterina Tempone, daughter of the deceased Giuseppe, 22 yo, wife of Vincenzo Alberti, the son of Michele Alberti, 24 yo, a day labourer.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 59&lang=en
Angela