Bertha's Maiden Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Bertha's Maiden Surname

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I'm reading Guarino.

Angela
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Bertha's Maiden Surname

Post by darkerhorse »

I believe that's her married surname.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Bertha's Maiden Surname

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Whoops!!! I knew it was too easy. Yes I can see very clearly on the third link that Gaurino was her married name. Sorry. Hopefully someone else who is wide awake will chime in.

Angela
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Bertha's Maiden Surname

Post by darkerhorse »

Yes, I know it would require detailed research. I don't have access to the best resources.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Bertha's Maiden Surname

Post by Tessa78 »

In the 1950 Queens NY Census, Bertha Guarino is listed as the sister-in-law of the Head of Household, James Jewell.
James' wife is Geraldine...

Here is a listing for the marriage in NYC (Queens) of James Jewell and Geraldine Walsh.
1872310 Jewell James V Feb 14 1926 255 Queens J400 Walsh Geraldine

So...POSSIBLY... Bertha's maiden name is Walsh.

I could not find a NYC marriage for Bertha Walsh and Ralph Guarino.

Siblings Geraldine (10) and Bertha (8) in the 1910 US Census. (in Kings County)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... X8?lang=en

And in the 1915 Census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... W6?lang=en

T.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Bertha's Maiden Surname

Post by darkerhorse »

Thanks. That's a good lead. I'll search for a SS application for Bertha, or an obituary for her or family members which might mention her with her married name.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Bertha's Maiden Surname

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a newspaper (Brooklyn Standard Union) from March 1924 listing Ralph Guarino and Bertha Walsh getting a marriage license.

Screen Shot
Image

Link to newspaper - far right column
https://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/h ... Page=false

Also in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle - 31 March 1924
https://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/h ... Page=false

T.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Bertha's Maiden Surname

Post by darkerhorse »

Tessa78 wrote: 09 Jul 2025, 16:48 Here is a newspaper (Brooklyn Standard Union) from March 1924 listing Ralph Guarino and Bertha Walsh getting a marriage license.

Screen Shot
Image

Link to newspaper - far right column
https://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/h ... Page=false

Also in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle - 31 March 1924
https://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/h ... Page=false

T.
Great!

Here's the grave record for her sister Geraldine Walsh. I was going to ask some to search for her obituary, but the marriage reference is definitive.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/177 ... ell#source
Post Reply