Searching for Bertha's maiden surname:
line 46
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... n&groupId=
line 17
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... n&groupId=
line 17
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... n&groupId=\
Bertha's Maiden Surname
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Bertha's Maiden Surname
I'm reading Guarino.
Angela
Angela
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Bertha's Maiden Surname
I believe that's her married surname.
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Bertha's Maiden Surname
Whoops!!! I knew it was too easy. Yes I can see very clearly on the third link that Gaurino was her married name. Sorry. Hopefully someone else who is wide awake will chime in.
Angela
Angela
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Bertha's Maiden Surname
Yes, I know it would require detailed research. I don't have access to the best resources.
Re: Bertha's Maiden Surname
In the 1950 Queens NY Census, Bertha Guarino is listed as the sister-in-law of the Head of Household, James Jewell.
James' wife is Geraldine...
Here is a listing for the marriage in NYC (Queens) of James Jewell and Geraldine Walsh.
1872310 Jewell James V Feb 14 1926 255 Queens J400 Walsh Geraldine
So...POSSIBLY... Bertha's maiden name is Walsh.
I could not find a NYC marriage for Bertha Walsh and Ralph Guarino.
Siblings Geraldine (10) and Bertha (8) in the 1910 US Census. (in Kings County)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... X8?lang=en
And in the 1915 Census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... W6?lang=en
T.
James' wife is Geraldine...
Here is a listing for the marriage in NYC (Queens) of James Jewell and Geraldine Walsh.
1872310 Jewell James V Feb 14 1926 255 Queens J400 Walsh Geraldine
So...POSSIBLY... Bertha's maiden name is Walsh.
I could not find a NYC marriage for Bertha Walsh and Ralph Guarino.
Siblings Geraldine (10) and Bertha (8) in the 1910 US Census. (in Kings County)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... X8?lang=en
And in the 1915 Census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... W6?lang=en
T.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Bertha's Maiden Surname
Thanks. That's a good lead. I'll search for a SS application for Bertha, or an obituary for her or family members which might mention her with her married name.
Re: Bertha's Maiden Surname
Here is a newspaper (Brooklyn Standard Union) from March 1924 listing Ralph Guarino and Bertha Walsh getting a marriage license.
Screen Shot

Link to newspaper - far right column
https://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/h ... Page=false
Also in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle - 31 March 1924
https://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/h ... Page=false
T.
Screen Shot

Link to newspaper - far right column
https://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/h ... Page=false
Also in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle - 31 March 1924
https://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/h ... Page=false
T.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Bertha's Maiden Surname
Great!Tessa78 wrote: 09 Jul 2025, 16:48 Here is a newspaper (Brooklyn Standard Union) from March 1924 listing Ralph Guarino and Bertha Walsh getting a marriage license.
Screen Shot
Link to newspaper - far right column
https://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/h ... Page=false
Also in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle - 31 March 1924
https://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/h ... Page=false
T.
Here's the grave record for her sister Geraldine Walsh. I was going to ask some to search for her obituary, but the marriage reference is definitive.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/177 ... ell#source