Nonno's Baptismal Certificate part 1
Nonno's Baptismal Certificate Part 2
Still working on the other one...not very legible I'm afraid!
Nuccia



wyogal wrote: 12 Jul 2006, 21:06 Thanks to those who have replied. I apologize for not having replied before now but life has interfered with my time for genealogy! I appreciate any help anyone can give me on my father's father. My dad is 77 years old and his father died when he was only 16 so he doesn't know much about him. He has treasured the information that I have been able to provide him so far.
That said...
My nonno was Guiseppe Franceso Vielmetti and he changed his name to Joseph or Joe Wilmetti (or similar variations; the spelling changed frequently) when he came to this country. He immigrated to this country in 1909 and he spent some time in Pennsylvania in Minersville and Jeanette. He settled in Superior, Wyoming some time before 1917. His brother was Emanuel Vielmetti and he changed his name to Emil Wilmette and he also spent some time in Pennsylvania before settling in Cook County, Illinois.
I have had trouble figuring out who their parents were. On his death certificate, they are listed as Joe Wilmetti and Rosa Tavonatti. I don't think this is necessarily accurate because it was filled out by his brother-in-law and I don't think they knew each other in the old country. I made copies of the film on Tavon baptisms from the Family History Library and when I found who should be my grandfather, it showed his mother as Rosa Stancher, not Rosa Tavonatti. I'm still trying to unravel the mystery behind my nonno's family.
Family legend says that he left Tyrol because he was in line to be a count and he didn't want to be so he left. I have found nothing to substantiate this but if anyone has any ideas on how to unravel this legend/myth, that would be great!
To the two people who replied with possible connections, I would say that it is very likely that our ancestors are tied together. Tavon seems to be such a small town that it seems impossible to believe that we can't be related with the same names in our backgrounds. If you have any information on your ancestors that can help us to make a connection, that would be great.
Thanks again for the help and if anyone has any other ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Jennifer Wilmetti