manifest for VIOLA

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 62
Joined: 03 Nov 2006, 00:00
Location: Connecticut

Re: manifest for VIOLA

Post by PaulaMT »

Very Helpful....
by any chance do you remmember the name of the woman who spoke english in the municipal office?????....
Paula M. T.
User avatar
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 79
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 00:00

Re: manifest for VIOLA

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

PaulaMT wrote:Very Helpful....
by any chance do you remmember the name of the woman who spoke english in the municipal office?????....
Unfortunately, no. Sorry.
User avatar
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 62
Joined: 03 Nov 2006, 00:00
Location: Connecticut

Re: manifest for VIOLA

Post by PaulaMT »

Thank you anyway.... I might try to call and see if I can find her.... wouldn't hurt to give it a chance.... anyway... with out your input I would have assumed no one would speak english at all... so Thanks!!!!!...

My italian is so rusty..... that I am now more opptomistic!!!....

Thank You Again...!!!!!
Paula M. T.
User avatar
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 79
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 00:00

Re: manifest for VIOLA

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

PaulaMT wrote:Thank you anyway.... I might try to call and see if I can find her.... wouldn't hurt to give it a chance.... anyway... with out your input I would have assumed no one would speak english at all... so Thanks!!!!!...

My italian is so rusty..... that I am now more opptomistic!!!....

Thank You Again...!!!!!
Good luck!

PS: Ask them "when are you going to get the birth/marriage certificates out to that guy in Connecticut? He's waiting patiently!"
User avatar
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 62
Joined: 03 Nov 2006, 00:00
Location: Connecticut

Re: manifest for VIOLA

Post by PaulaMT »

Wow... you from CT too!....
I'm in Orange....

Well that's funny.... our family's are from the same place... and so are we... .... well actually me... my family was based in Mt. Vernon, NY...

Small world!!!
Paula M. T.
User avatar
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 79
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 00:00

Re: manifest for VIOLA

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

PaulaMT wrote:Wow... you from CT too!....
I'm in Orange....

Well that's funny.... our family's are from the same place... and so are we... .... well actually me... my family was based in Mt. Vernon, NY...

Small world!!!
My paternal grandparents emmigrated to Hoboken, New Jersey and from there went on to Mamaroneck, NY. My maternal grandparents were from the Calabria region and emmigrated to Harrison, NY, which is where I was born and raised. I am now living in Waterbury, CT (after a 20+ year stint in Fort Lauderdale, FL).
User avatar
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 62
Joined: 03 Nov 2006, 00:00
Location: Connecticut

Re: manifest for VIOLA

Post by PaulaMT »

My maternal great grand parents are from Roccasecca and Palermo. Settled in NY and CT. My paternal Great grandparents are from San Lecuio, BN and Abruzzi. They pretty much all settled in NY...

With this weather... I think I would have stayed in FL!!!!....
Paula M. T.
User avatar
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 79
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 00:00

Re: manifest for VIOLA

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

Paula,

Regarding an earlier post about naturalization records, the Westchester County Archives online index only goes up to 1927; beyond that you can request a manual search of the records for a $25.00 fee. I did so and was shocked to receive copies of my grandfather's Declaration, Petition, and Oath in the mail just five days after sending my request to Elmsford. You can get more info by calling:

Archives Reference Staff
Westchester County Archives
2199 Saw Mill River Road
Elmsford, New York 10523
Tel: (914) 231-1500

I spoke with "Elaine", she was extremely helpful.

For an extra $5.00 they will send the records (if found, of course) to the Westchester County Clerk's office to be certified as true copies of official records. Whether or not the NYC consulate will accept this is not yet known, but it's definitely a good start.

As in my other thread on this subject, the National Archives district office in New York City houses naturalization records *only* for persons who did so in a *federal* court. For persons who naturalized in state or county court (I am told that that was where *most* people actually did this), you need to look elsewhere - the Westchester County Archives in this case.
User avatar
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 62
Joined: 03 Nov 2006, 00:00
Location: Connecticut

Re: manifest for VIOLA

Post by PaulaMT »

I have the papers for my Great Grandmother... she filled them out in the 40's in Rhode Island.... but unfortunatley my Grandfather wrote for her and the spelling and details are not the best and some far from accurate...

It is my Great Grandfather Guiseppe... who died prior to 1914 .. he was only here for 6 or so years... I don't think he naturalized....... so I was hoping that I could find info on the town....

which you gave me.... and I'm so very thank full!!!
Paula M. T.
Post Reply