Is there list of immigrants going BACK to Italy?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
jennci
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 31
Joined: 12 May 2008, 20:13

Is there list of immigrants going BACK to Italy?

Post by jennci »

It seems like some relatives vanish....maybe they went back to Italy? Is there any way to find out?

Thanks
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Is there list of immigrants going BACK to Italy?

Post by wldspirit »

There are no records of outbound passengers, only incoming.
Sometimes you will find a passport, but the indications is usually for a visit
abroad.
wldspirit
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Is there list of immigrants going BACK to Italy?

Post by PeterTimber »

You could write to the local town census office (Uffico di Anagrafe) and ask them if there is any current record of their residence inthe town.

The letter must be in Italian. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
carmine1917
Elite
Elite
Posts: 269
Joined: 07 Apr 2008, 02:10
Location: New York

Re: Is there list of immigrants going BACK to Italy?

Post by carmine1917 »

On ancestry,you can see after Ellis Island closed, people who went to visit and came back. Or you can apply for passport information. I did that for my grandma. I know she went to visit, I saw her return info on ancestry.
User avatar
jennci
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 31
Joined: 12 May 2008, 20:13

Re: Is there list of immigrants going BACK to Italy?

Post by jennci »

Thank you!
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Is there list of immigrants going BACK to Italy?

Post by nuccia »

micheles wrote:On ancestry,you can see after Ellis Island closed, people who went to visit and came back. Or you can apply for passport information. I did that for my grandma. I know she went to visit, I saw her return info on ancestry.
I'm not understanding here. I have been using ancestry for a few years and I have never seen an outgoing list. Have I missed something?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
carmine1917
Elite
Elite
Posts: 269
Joined: 07 Apr 2008, 02:10
Location: New York

Re: Is there list of immigrants going BACK to Italy?

Post by carmine1917 »

What you missed is that I found two records on ansestry of my grandmother. One from Ellis, when she came to America. The second of her returning from visiting, I never saw records of people leaving America, only coming in for the first time or vacations/
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Is there list of immigrants going BACK to Italy?

Post by nuccia »

Thanks..guess I didn't read your comment carefully. Thanks for clearing that up.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
carmine1917
Elite
Elite
Posts: 269
Joined: 07 Apr 2008, 02:10
Location: New York

Re: Is there list of immigrants going BACK to Italy?

Post by carmine1917 »

No problem!
Post Reply