Churches in Angri and Sant' Egidio del Monte Albano

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Post Reply
February
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 87
Joined: 09 Jan 2014, 20:41

Churches in Angri and Sant' Egidio del Monte Albano

Post by February »

Are there churches in these villages? Is there a way to request records from churches?

Thanks for any help.
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Churches in Angri and Sant' Egidio del Monte Albano

Post by mmogno »

Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
February
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 87
Joined: 09 Jan 2014, 20:41

Re: Churches in Angri and Sant' Egidio del Monte Albano

Post by February »

Thank you, mmogno, I appreciate your help!

I wasn't expecting that many churches in two small villages! Is there any way to find out how old these parishes are? Santa Maria di Constatinopoli looks modern, but may have replaced an older church. I'll have to find out where the family lived to see which parish is most likely to have records from 1901.

Thank you again.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Churches in Angri and Sant' Egidio del Monte Albano

Post by PippoM »

They are not small villages! Today they have about 50,000 inhabitants altogether!
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
February
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 87
Joined: 09 Jan 2014, 20:41

Re: Churches in Angri and Sant' Egidio del Monte Albano

Post by February »

Point taken, PippoM. :) I'm afraid I'm thinking of the area as it was over 100 years ago when my grandmother lived there.

When I saw that my great grandparents' street led to Piazza San Giovanni Battista and that church was only a two minute walk from their home, I thought I had their parish church. But I checked, and located all the other churches in Angri. To my surprise S. Maria di Constantinopoli was a 3 minute walk in the opposite direction. It didn't seem a likely match, as that church has a much more modern look. But I checked. As it turns out San Giovanni is the "new" church (1180 AD) while the "modern" S. Maria di Constantinopoli (with a new facade) was built around the year 700! :D
Post Reply