Rosario Rodolico

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Kaylie
Veteran
Veteran

Rosario Rodolico

Post by Kaylie »

I am searching for records of my maternal grandfather, Rosario Rodolico who came to the US in April 1905 at 34 yrs of age. He did not remain in the US but returned to his native land after a brief stay and never returned to the US. He eventually died in Sicily, since my grandmother who immigrated in 1930 was a widow when she arrived in the US. He was born in Vittoria, Sicily in 1871; father's name was Giuseppe, mother was Giovanna Giudici. Is there any way to find out when he returned to Sicily and when he passed away?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Rosario Rodolico

Post by Tessa78 »

Kaylie wrote:I am searching for records of my maternal grandfather, Rosario Rodolico who came to the US in April 1905 at 34 yrs of age. He did not remain in the US but returned to his native land after a brief stay and never returned to the US. He eventually died in Sicily, since my grandmother who immigrated in 1930 was a widow when she arrived in the US. He was born in Vittoria, Sicily in 1871; father's name was Giuseppe, mother was Giovanna Giudici.
Is there any way to find out when he returned to Sicily and when he passed away?
Unfortunately, there are no records for immigrants leaving the US to return to Italy.

According to Maria Leotta's arrival manifest in 1930, she was - as you said - a widow. She was leaving her "Son Carmelo Leotta(?) in Riposto" and joining with her son Orazio Rodoli[co] in Brooklyn.
It appears that the family had settled in the Comune of Riposto, and this is probably where Rosario returned, and then died.
To be sure, you could also write to Vittoria, Ragusa, to request a death record, giving them an approximate range of 5 years.

T.
Kaylie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaylie »

Thank you for your reply. I will attempt to write letters to the Communes of Vittoria and Riposto to see if they have any records of my grandfather's death.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, I found a Puerto Rico marriage record of Jose (Giuseppe in italian spell) Rodolico, born in Riposto, son of Rosario Rodolico and Maria Leotta... the marriage is of 16 Jun 1922 and Rosario was alive at this date:
Name: José Rodolico Lestta
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 16 Jun 1922
Event Place: Santurce (San Juan), Puerto Rico
Father's Name: Rosario Rodolico
Mother's Name: Maria Lestta
Spouse's Name: Adela Vittiglio Arzarelli
Spouse's Gender: Female
Spouse's Age: 23
Spouse's Father's Name: Pascuale Vittiglio
Spouse's Mother's Name: Oratia Arzarelli
Volume: Matrimonios 1918-1931

Digital Folder Number: 004493147 , Image Number: 00593
here the picture
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1682798
so Rosario died between 1922 and 1930..
maybe helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Kaylie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaylie »

Thank you saunj for continuing the search on the questions I had about my maternal grandfather. The information you found on Giuseppe Rodolico marrying Adela is correct; what I did not know was that they were married in Puerto Rico. I will have to go thru my mother's photographs to see if I can find a wedding photo of them. This also narrows down the time frame so that perhaps I can find information on the death of my maternal grandfather. I am going to write to the Commune of Riposto (because I think that is where he probably passed away (his family was living there when he returned from the US), but I will also try to email the commune of Vittoria in the province of Ragusa to see if they have any information. I am note sure that they will be very cooperative in responding to my queries, though. I have been told that many of these small towns do not respond to international queries from those of us searching for information on our ancestors. I have the email address of the Commune di Vittoria but I need to find the email for Riposto. I have not been there in over 20 years and the only comments I get about this small town (many of my cousins return there almost once a year to visit their relatives)where my parents and grandparents were born are not very positive ones. Thank you once again for your perseverance.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Ok, I understand, but, maybe, before of to write in the Communes and to wait hoping in a reply, is more helpful to search in the Church records of Riposto, availables until 1941.. it is a big and wonderful source..
if Rosario died from the sacraments religious comforted, in Riposto, his death is definitely shown here
https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2016233
you can search in the "Morti" records of these 3 churches in Riposto...
hoping helpful,
best regards.
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Kaylie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaylie »

I checked the 3 churches of Riposto (with special attention given to S. Pietro). Unfortunately S. Pietro has Death records from 1926 to 1937 but is missing records from 1922 thru 1925. You indicated according to marriage records of my Uncle Giuseppe Rodolico (married in Puerto Rico) that, my grandfather was listed as still being alive in 1922. In reading the marriage record I noticed that the ages of both my grandparents were incorrect. My grandfather was born in 1871 and would have been 58 yrs old and my grandmother was born in 1880 and would have been 42 yrs old. In any event I found only 2 Rosario Rodolicos in the 1926-1937 list (Chiesa S. Pietro (Image 75, #15, Page 74 and image 94, #7, page 93. I do not believe it was them because of the age. One was 82 and the other 89. What I did find, however, was the marriage record for my paternal grandparents, Isidoro Vaccarino and Marianna Monforte,(which took place in January of 1910) so this search was not a total loss. I think my next step might be to write to the Communi and see if they will respond to me. Incidentally, the email address for Vittoria was not correct. I sent them email which was returned, so I googled the town and the email address is segretariogenerale@communevittoria.gov.it. Thank you once again for all of your help.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the ages.. on Puerto Rico marriage record.. also on old italian records, many times the ages are wrong... that because no all people was able in the count... so abt the ages... it is no important, because the other data are correct....
abt Riposto Church records, if you no found... maybe the record is in the lacking years...
abt Vittoria.. I don't believe that Rosario died in Vittoria ... Rosario died in Riposto, the children was born in Riposto, and when Maria Leotta went in USA the last residence was Riposto...
so I believe that Rosario died in riposto... but it is a my idea... but maybe I am wrong...
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
MelItaly77

Post by MelItaly77 »

Hi, maybe finelly do you got some news from Comuneof Vittoria?