by Poipuo4
07 Oct 2008, 18:55
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: "San Gemignano di Moriano"
Replies: 3
Views: 7046

Re: "San Gemignano di Moriano"

Is this it? http://www.sangimignano.com/sghomei.htm

I visisted this town a few years back. It is a common tourist destination near Siena. It is just lovely, although my Italian friends think it is getting to commerical with gift shops etc...
by Poipuo4
26 Sep 2008, 15:29
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Hints on finding a local translator
Replies: 9
Views: 7980

Re: Hints on finding a local translator

Maybe you should check out if the local school in Accadia or the next biggest town has an English teacher who wants to moonlight. We went to a small village in Foggia without a command of the language, but we got quite far with beginner's Italian, a dictionary, and a lot of good will.
by Poipuo4
15 Aug 2008, 14:45
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: What is it like?
Replies: 5
Views: 6836

Re: What is it like?

Have you searched for Roccamorano on www.youtube.com ? I found some nice footage of my ancestral town of Paduli (BN). It is worth a try. Peter: LOL. I used to have the same feeling when I lived in Ffld. County; everything outside of the metro-NY sphere was the sticks. Fredonia: This is not entirely ...
by Poipuo4
12 Aug 2008, 14:21
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Help with NY Italian Cemetery please
Replies: 21
Views: 18546

Re: Help with NY Italian Cemetery please

My GGM was from the corner of Mott and Kenmare. Although she died in the City in 1911, she was buried in Calvary. You may want to write to the Old St. Patrick's Cathedral. That was my ggm's neighborhood church from the Mott St. area. Perhaps they may have church records of the death. It always helps...
by Poipuo4
14 Jul 2008, 15:29
Topic: received response to military inquiry
Replies: 22
Views: 22503

Re: received response to military inquiry

Good luck! I got an e-mail response for military records within 2 weeks of my request and then I would say 2 weeks to a month after I sent them my mailing address, I got the records. Luckily, for my archives; Reggio Calabria and also Benevento, neither asked for payment.
by Poipuo4
13 Jul 2008, 23:40
Topic: Cost of Vital Records in Sicily?
Replies: 1
Views: 5921

Re: Cost of Vital Records in Sicily?

This all depends on the town. I have gotten some responses from a tiny village in Calabria within 2 weeks. In other towns, it has taken me two months or so. If you do not include the proper information, such as the correct year of birth for example, they may never answer you.
by Poipuo4
13 Jul 2008, 23:38
Topic: received response to military inquiry
Replies: 22
Views: 22503

Re: received response to military inquiry

Warrior: I by no means speak more than beginner's Italian, but I wanted to make sure that you understood that they can not send you a photocopy becaue the original is in a bad condition and they need to take precautions to conserve it so they will send you a type written copy.
by Poipuo4
02 Jul 2008, 16:20
Topic: LDS Films---what can they do for me?
Replies: 8
Views: 7646

Re: LDS Films---what can they do for me?

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHL/frameset_library.asp?PAGE=library_services.asp Mary, go to this web site and print out the form for ordering copies by mail. Then order a copy of the record you need straight from the FHC in Salt Lake City. They will have the best copiers and may be able t...
by Poipuo4
25 Jun 2008, 14:08
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Surname Question
Replies: 4
Views: 8432

Re: Surname Question

http://gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html If you run Ragusa in this surname distribution map (put it in where it says cognome), there appears to be a heavy distribution in Sicily. So, yes it would imply that your lineage comes from Sicily. The problem is that some surnames are very common and have...
by Poipuo4
24 Jun 2008, 17:07
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: RUBANO Filomena di Giuseppe 23-Apr-1914 - 23-Jun-2008
Replies: 18
Views: 20249

Re: RUBANO Filomena di Giuseppe 23-Apr-1914 - 23-Jun-2008

I am sorry for your loss too. You have given a beautiful tribute to her and to your love of your family by having this web site for other families to connect.
by Poipuo4
17 Jun 2008, 12:57
Topic: Military Service Records in Italy
Replies: 19
Views: 18635

Re: Military Service Records in Italy

They responded to me in about two weeks via e-mail. At least for me, Reggio Calabria's archives did not charge me anything for the records.
by Poipuo4
13 Jun 2008, 13:03
Topic: Trip to Italy
Replies: 5
Views: 6487

Re: Trip to Italy

Have you gone to the Italy boards on www.frommers.com or www.tripadvisor.com Those people have a wealth of info.
by Poipuo4
12 Jun 2008, 15:18
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: RICHIESTA INFO
Views: 3377

Re: RICHIESTA INFO

Questo indirizzo non e' completo. Ha bisogno la strada ed il numero della casa. Bronx e' la citta', New York e' il stato, 10455 e' il codice di postale. Mi dispiace, non scrivo buon italiano!

;)

Bronx, NY 10455
U.S.A.
by Poipuo4
12 Jun 2008, 15:10
Topic: Deported?
Replies: 2
Views: 3438

Re: Deported?

My grandmother was held on Ellis Island for 3 months due to illness and marked for deportation. Luckily, she was too sick to travel so they let her stay in the US. There should be another page to the manifest that lists people who were detained. They appeared before the board of special inquiry and ...
by Poipuo4
10 Jun 2008, 17:08
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Returning to Italy
Views: 3966

Re: Returning to Italy

Many people have asked the same question, and as far as I know, the answers are disappointing. I don't know of any records of departure from the US back to Italy. You are right, for personal information, the US census, for example, stops at 1930 for now. It is to protect privacy of living people. Ma...