Emidio De Felice, i guess. Right?
by Jacobus
17 Jan 2009, 11:13
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Galli/Quilici/Sighieri -
Replies: 8
Views: 6457

Re: Galli/Quilici/Sighieri -

Another year later and still looking for Lorenzo Daniele Giovanni Galli. Lorenzo Daniele was born May 28, 1881 in Saltocchio, Lucca, Tuscany, Italy. Son of Alessio Galli and Annunziata Quilici He married Margherita Maria Elisa Sighieri from Pico, Pisano on Sept. 5, 1914 in Saltocchio. Anyone have a...
by Jacobus
13 Jan 2009, 14:06
Topic: SURNAME, LIPARI, SIENA ITALY
Replies: 37
Views: 28157

Re: SURNAME, LIPARI, SIENA ITALY

PeterTimber wrote:Lipari is a base surname derived from LIPAROTI based upon the ethnic identification of Liparoto for inhabitants of those islands as outlined in the Italian surname dictionary.=Peter=
Dear Peter, who is the author of this Italian surname dictionary?
Is it an english or italian book?
by Jacobus
13 Jan 2009, 13:41

Buon giorno Jacobus Thanks for that, still does not really help though. Should I try the various provinces in Sicilia requesting his birth certificate? I think so. Starting from Messina and extending to Reggio Calabria Area. Lipari island is in the province of Messina. The correct spelling of your ...
by Jacobus
12 Jan 2009, 20:29
Topic: Bredariol - Treviso
Replies: 12
Views: 8904

Re: Bredariol - Trevizo

Trevizo, do you mean TREVISO, right?
by Jacobus
12 Jan 2009, 18:24
Topic: Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci
Replies: 31
Views: 28931

Re: Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci

Dear Daniel the surname dictionary does not list Clesceri as an italian surname so as a result it is considered to be either local in origin or imported from abroad and italianized. =Peter= Clesceri seems to be the italianized form of an arberesh surname. What "italian surname dictionary"...
by Jacobus
12 Jan 2009, 18:08
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Italian language
Replies: 16
Views: 27416

Re: Italian language

A language is defined as having a written literature and has a grammatical struicture even though it mahy be classified as a dialect in light of official language of the country. However to claim a dialect as a language requires the above and if a dialect becomes the official language of a country ...
by Jacobus
12 Jan 2009, 17:16
Topic: The British in Lucca
Replies: 3
Views: 8927

Re: The British in Lucca

Hello, I am looking for an ancestor who was British. His name is Plowman Young and died at Bullis of Lucca 1840. He is said to be buried at Leghorn cemetery. Plowman Young was a doctor from Suffolk England. His wife was Ann Maria. Their youngest child Augustus Warren Young was born in 1837 in Pisa ...
by Jacobus
12 Jan 2009, 16:51
Topic: Italian language
Replies: 16
Views: 27416

Re: Italian language

I have heard it said that Sicilian is closer to the Original Latin than is Italian Not true. The italian dialect closer to original latin is tuscan dialect, from which is descended modern italian language. also what dialect is spoken most in Sicily today? (Italian or Sicilian) It depends, in Sicily...
by Jacobus
12 Jan 2009, 16:10

Hi there Are you saying that we are looking in the wrong region? Should we go back to Sicilia and try other provinces? 8O Hi! I'm saying that Lipari (if Lipari is the correct spelling of your great grandfather surname) is a typical sicilian surname. I have no doubt about it. Why am i so sure? Becau...
by Jacobus
12 Jan 2009, 15:36

PeterTimber wrote: I do not know why the observation and question was duplicated. =Peter=
Dear Peter, are you talking about my post?
by Jacobus
12 Jan 2009, 15:35

Hello all, I've really just began working on my Lo Nigro family genealogy, and have them originating in Piana dei Greci, just outside of Palermo Sicily before coming to the states. I'm wondering if there is an online database containing birth records and marriages and such from that region of Sicil...
by Jacobus
12 Jan 2009, 14:44

PeterTimber wrote:Lipari is a base surname derived from LIPAROTI based upon the ethnic identification of Liparoto for inhabitants of those islands as outlined in the Italian surname dictionary.=Peter=
I agree, and it still demonstrates the Lipari is a sicilian surname and not a tuscan one.
by Jacobus
12 Jan 2009, 14:39

Finally, during the Spanish Inquisition of the late 15th century, many JEWS that lived in the Mediterranean changed their names. ONE OF THE MOST COMMON means by which they could identify themselves was to place the prefix "LO" before their surname. Thus, many Sicilian families of Jewish f...
by Jacobus
12 Jan 2009, 14:16

Dear Jacobus there is a Lipari residing in the province of Siena. Go to www.paginebianche.it for the source. =Peter= Dear Peter, he/she probably emigrated from Sicily to the province of Siena. From Cognomi italiani (italian surnames): http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/cognomi0010i.htm LIPARA L...