Search found 12 matches

by Storia
04 Feb 2010, 13:10
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: How to use Allegati?
Replies: 1
Views: 2510

Re: How to use Allegati?

I located this previous post: VaDeb V.I.P. Joined: Oct 05, 2003 Posts: 1215 Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:03 am Post subject: Re: birth registrations for marriage? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- .....When they applied for their bann, many documents were...
by Storia
03 Feb 2010, 19:54
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: translate profession listed in 1834 "Crivellatore"
Replies: 8
Views: 4911

Re: translate profession listed in 1834 "Crivellatore&q

So, this term that is used for the profession of my ancestor could apply to sifting in a mine OR someone who sifted grain , as in separating the wheat from the chaff. And since Sicily is/was mostly an agricultural area, the latter probably relates most closely to the meaning of his profession. And a...
by Storia
03 Feb 2010, 16:27

Re: translate profession listed in 1834 "Crivellatore&q

The sifter (in a mine), jiggler (as in sifting?) makes some sense. This town is located up in the mountains and does have mineral deposits, especially a large salt mine. I don't know how the salt was mined in the early 1800's, if it required sifting to purify it? Perhaps you could direct me to an on...
by Storia
03 Feb 2010, 16:20
Topic: Woman using two surnames??
Replies: 6
Views: 4449

Re: Woman using two surnames??

I am the original poster of this message. Now I am thinking that Agnello is a nickname to distinguish from other babies named Francesca Paola Cerami (there are many Cerami families in this small Sicilian town). Could "Agnello" be the disguishing nickname? wordreference.com translated the w...
by Storia
03 Feb 2010, 15:16

translate profession listed in 1834 "Crivellatore"

Hello everyone - I am have difficulty reading the writing and then translating a man's profession. I am looking at an "Atto della Solenne Promessa di celebrare il Matrimonio" from a Sicilian comune, dated 1834. My ancestor, the father of the groom, is listed with the title of "Maestro...
by Storia
03 Feb 2010, 14:05
Topic: Woman using two surnames??
Replies: 6
Views: 4449

Woman using two surnames??

On an 1834 "Atto Della Solenne Promessa di celebrare il Matriomonio" from a Sicilian comune I have found the name of the bride-to-be listed as: Francesca Paola Cerami Agnello She is listed as 32 years old. Her father is simply identified as "fù Domenico" She is the mother of my ...
by Storia
03 Feb 2010, 13:22
Topic: How to use Allegati?
Replies: 1
Views: 2510

How to use Allegati?

From the Family History Library microfilms I located the "Atto della Solenne Promessa di celebrare il Matrimonio" for an ancester in 1834. I then ordered the Allegati that encompassed this time period, but was totally confused as to how to find information regarding the couple named in the...
by Storia
01 Feb 2010, 11:41
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Title of "Maestro"
Replies: 10
Views: 9148

Re: Title of "Maestro"

Hello everyone who answered my original post, and thank you!

I am sorry, the "Maesto" was a typing error.

the title that interested me is "Maestro." and I will interpret it as a title of respect, and perhaps some level of skill.
by Storia
28 Jan 2010, 13:29
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Title of "Maestro"
Replies: 10
Views: 9148

Title of "Maestro"

I have been looking at several records (microfilms from Family History Library) for an ancestor in Sicily in the 19th Cenury. At various times in his life he is referred to using his profession and one time he is called "Maestro": For example - 1832: on the birth record of his son, he is s...
by Storia
10 Oct 2009, 19:57
Topic: What are these archival documents?
Replies: 2
Views: 3744

Re: What are these archival documents?

I just posted this over on the Italian Genealogy Forum.

Maybe this is not the best forum for this question.
by Storia
10 Oct 2009, 19:47
Topic: What kind of archival documents are these?
Replies: 3
Views: 3506

What kind of archival documents are these?

I posted this at one of the other forums, but received no responses. Perhaps here... Thanks to anyone who can tell me what kinds of documents these are from an Italian archive. What type of information would I expect to find in each of them? 1 - atti privati e dei repertori di notai, cancellieri e u...
by Storia
09 Oct 2009, 11:02
Topic: What are these archival documents?
Replies: 2
Views: 3744

What are these archival documents?

Thanks to anyone who can tell me what kinds of documents these are from an Italian archive. What type of information would I expect to find in each of them?

1 - atti privati e dei repertori di notai, cancellieri e uscieri

2 - Capilista

3 - Atti dei notai

4 - Inventario