Search found 40 matches

by ddevirgilio
22 Jul 2013, 21:20
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Requesting Another Set of Eyes
Replies: 2
Views: 1542

Re: Requesting Another Set of Eyes

Thanks! Good to know I'm getting better at deciphering those notes!
by ddevirgilio
22 Jul 2013, 18:37
Topic: Requesting Another Set of Eyes
Views: 1542

Requesting Another Set of Eyes

Once again, I find myself struggling with notes in the margins of a record, and I would greatly appreciate another set of eyes to confirm or correct what I'm interpreting. The document in question is located here: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.it/v/Archivio+di+Stato+di+Bari/Stato+civile+ital...
by ddevirgilio
08 Jun 2013, 15:41
Topic: Symbols in Indexes
Views: 1286

Re: Symbols in Indexes

Well, moments after submitting this post, I realized that I was sabotaged by a misnumbered record. It is indeed a 5, and the self-kicking has commenced. :-) Thanks for the response!
by ddevirgilio
07 Jun 2013, 22:09
Topic: Symbols in Indexes
Views: 1286

Symbols in Indexes

Despite various efforts, I remain puzzled by a few symbols I often see in annual record indexes. Attached you will find an image which contains three examples that I've patched together from a single index page. I've been able to decipher that the first example, containing the "S,P" refere...
by ddevirgilio
29 May 2013, 18:54
Topic: Lengthy Mystery Note in Record Margins
Views: 1394

Lengthy Mystery Note in Record Margins

First of all, thank you for reading this post. I've seen my healthy share of handwritten notes in birth record margins pointing towards death and marriage records. Though I find these notes to be the most difficult to read, I can usually decipher them. However, I've come across a unique case that ha...
by ddevirgilio
02 Oct 2012, 16:53
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Digitalized Civil Records for Province of Bari, Italy
Replies: 9
Views: 4789

Re: Digitalized Civil Records for Province of Bari, Italy

I have good news to share. On the 28th, they updated a section entitled "Italy, Bari, Trani, Civil Registration (Tribunale), 1866-1910". However, the title is misleading. There's more than just Trani. If you click to browse the records, you are able to see some records for these comuni in ...
by ddevirgilio
25 Sep 2012, 21:45
Topic: Ancestry DNA Confusing
Replies: 4
Views: 3025

Re: Ancestry DNA Confusing

If you don't mind me asking, what were your results? Feel feel to PM if you'd prefer.
by ddevirgilio
25 Sep 2012, 19:30
Topic: Ancestry DNA Confusing
Replies: 4
Views: 3025

Re: Ancestry DNA Confusing

I've participated in a number of DNA tests for genealogy purposes, and I've taken part in AncestryDNA since the early beta. From my experience, none of them have a geographic labeling as granular as "Italian". The most granular you can expect for a geographic area would be "Southern E...
by ddevirgilio
14 Aug 2012, 20:04
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Men Wearing Earrings A Century Ago
Views: 8134

Re: Men Wearing Earrings A Century Ago

Thanks! This makes a lot of sense! Many of my ancestors were mariners. Plus, there are many cultural links to Greece in Puglia.
by ddevirgilio
06 Aug 2012, 21:43
Topic: Men Wearing Earrings A Century Ago
Views: 8134

Men Wearing Earrings A Century Ago

My family is from Molfetta in Puglia, and I've often heard that my 2nd great-grandfather and other men of his generation often wore an earring. Does anyone know if this had specific cultural significance? Was it simply a fashion statement?

Thanks,
Damian
by ddevirgilio
29 Jan 2012, 16:49
Topic: Anyone else going to RootsTech 2012?
Replies: 0
Views: 847

Anyone else going to RootsTech 2012?

I'll be attending RootsTech this coming week, and I'm curious whether others will be attending who are also focused on Italian genealogy.
by ddevirgilio
22 Nov 2011, 00:02
Topic: healing
Replies: 3
Views: 3748

Re: healing

My family is from Molfetta in the province of Bari. When I was a child, my paternal grandmother and many women of her generation would conduct a ritual called "tagliare i vermi" (literally translated as "cut the worms") whenever we had stomach issues. The ritual basically involve...
by ddevirgilio
16 Aug 2011, 15:21
Topic: Cassaro (ww2 italian airforce)
Replies: 8
Views: 2587

Re: Cassaro (ww2 italian airforce)

What resources have you used to date? If he was held in a POW camp in Britain, you should be able to request information from the International Red Cross: http://www.icrc.org/web/forms/webforms.nsf/F_Archive?OpenForm&ParentUNID=FC2FA71E2991A657C12572E200322DD7. I've been successful requesting in...
by ddevirgilio
01 Aug 2011, 23:54
Topic: Antonio Caruso around Hudson, NJ Help!
Views: 1155

Re: Antonio Caruso around Hudson, NJ Help!

I would like to help since I live in Hudson County. What city in Hudson County did your relatives live in? Also, what part of Italy were they from?