Search found 40 matches
- 22 Jul 2013, 21:20
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Requesting Another Set of Eyes
- Replies: 2
- Views: 2012
Re: Requesting Another Set of Eyes
Thanks! Good to know I'm getting better at deciphering those notes!
- 22 Jul 2013, 18:37
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Requesting Another Set of Eyes
- Replies: 2
- Views: 2012
Requesting Another Set of Eyes
Once again, I find myself struggling with notes in the margins of a record, and I would greatly appreciate another set of eyes to confirm or correct what I'm interpreting. The document in question is located here: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.it/v/Archivio+di+Stato+di+Bari/Stato+civile ...
- 08 Jun 2013, 15:41
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Symbols in Indexes
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1795
Re: Symbols in Indexes
Well, moments after submitting this post, I realized that I was sabotaged by a misnumbered record. It is indeed a 5, and the self-kicking has commenced.
Thanks for the response!
- 07 Jun 2013, 22:09
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Symbols in Indexes
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1795
Symbols in Indexes
Despite various efforts, I remain puzzled by a few symbols I often see in annual record indexes. Attached you will find an image which contains three examples that I've patched together from a single index page. I've been able to decipher that the first example, containing the "S,P" references the ...
- 29 May 2013, 19:33
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Lengthy Mystery Note in Record Margins
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1920
Re: Lengthy Mystery Note in Record Margins
Ha! Thanks so much!
- 29 May 2013, 18:54
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Lengthy Mystery Note in Record Margins
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1920
Lengthy Mystery Note in Record Margins
First of all, thank you for reading this post. I've seen my healthy share of handwritten notes in birth record margins pointing towards death and marriage records. Though I find these notes to be the most difficult to read, I can usually decipher them. However, I've come across a unique case that ...
- 02 Oct 2012, 16:53
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Digitalized Civil Records for Province of Bari, Italy
- Replies: 9
- Views: 6280
Re: Digitalized Civil Records for Province of Bari, Italy
I have good news to share. On the 28th, they updated a section entitled "Italy, Bari, Trani, Civil Registration (Tribunale), 1866-1910". However, the title is misleading. There's more than just Trani. If you click to browse the records, you are able to see some records for these comuni in the ...
- 25 Sep 2012, 21:45
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Ancestry DNA Confusing
- Replies: 4
- Views: 3894
Re: Ancestry DNA Confusing
If you don't mind me asking, what were your results? Feel feel to PM if you'd prefer.
- 25 Sep 2012, 19:30
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Ancestry DNA Confusing
- Replies: 4
- Views: 3894
Re: Ancestry DNA Confusing
I've participated in a number of DNA tests for genealogy purposes, and I've taken part in AncestryDNA since the early beta. From my experience, none of them have a geographic labeling as granular as "Italian". The most granular you can expect for a geographic area would be "Southern European ...
- 14 Aug 2012, 20:04
- Forum: Italian History & Culture
- Topic: Men Wearing Earrings A Century Ago
- Replies: 2
- Views: 10385
Re: Men Wearing Earrings A Century Ago
Thanks! This makes a lot of sense! Many of my ancestors were mariners. Plus, there are many cultural links to Greece in Puglia.
- 06 Aug 2012, 21:43
- Forum: Italian History & Culture
- Topic: Men Wearing Earrings A Century Ago
- Replies: 2
- Views: 10385
Men Wearing Earrings A Century Ago
My family is from Molfetta in Puglia, and I've often heard that my 2nd great-grandfather and other men of his generation often wore an earring. Does anyone know if this had specific cultural significance? Was it simply a fashion statement?
Thanks,
Damian
Thanks,
Damian
- 29 Jan 2012, 16:49
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Anyone else going to RootsTech 2012?
- Replies: 0
- Views: 1065
Anyone else going to RootsTech 2012?
I'll be attending RootsTech this coming week, and I'm curious whether others will be attending who are also focused on Italian genealogy.
- 22 Nov 2011, 00:02
- Forum: Italian History & Culture
- Topic: healing
- Replies: 3
- Views: 5833
Re: healing
My family is from Molfetta in the province of Bari. When I was a child, my paternal grandmother and many women of her generation would conduct a ritual called "tagliare i vermi" (literally translated as "cut the worms") whenever we had stomach issues. The ritual basically involved praying and making ...
- 16 Aug 2011, 15:21
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Cassaro (ww2 italian airforce)
- Replies: 8
- Views: 3436
Re: Cassaro (ww2 italian airforce)
What resources have you used to date? If he was held in a POW camp in Britain, you should be able to request information from the International Red Cross: http://www.icrc.org/web/forms/webforms.nsf/F_Archive?OpenForm&ParentUNID=FC2FA71E2991A657C12572E200322DD7. I've been successful requesting ...
- 01 Aug 2011, 23:54
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Antonio Caruso around Hudson, NJ Help!
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1523
Re: Antonio Caruso around Hudson, NJ Help!
I would like to help since I live in Hudson County. What city in Hudson County did your relatives live in? Also, what part of Italy were they from?