Search found 121 matches

by elmosgirl
30 Jan 2023, 23:17
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: putting record data in context
Replies: 4
Views: 888

Re: putting record data in context

Thank you so much PippoM!

This adds to my understanding of,and appreciation
for,my paternal family.

Even about those who lived 200 years ago!
by elmosgirl
29 Jan 2023, 23:47
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: putting record data in context
Replies: 4
Views: 888

Re: putting record data in context

Thank you for your reply. The words don't add to what I asked for though.

Why would a comune's citizen be described this way? What did it say about the person?

It isn't a description I've found in other records.

Doesn't mean it isn't there! Just that I haven't come across it!
by elmosgirl
28 Jan 2023, 18:58
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: putting record data in context
Replies: 4
Views: 888

putting record data in context

My research has always involved efforts to learn about much more than names and dates for the families I've studied.

I'd appreciate having context for a word in a record I have.

A 33 year old paternal GreatGreatUncle was a witness to an 1824 wedding held in the small comune of Scisciano outside ...
by elmosgirl
24 Jan 2017, 00:03
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Dr. Robert Bosso
Replies: 15
Views: 6432

Re: Dr. Robert Bosso

Hello again Suanj, and welcome to the Board Eric!

After thinking abit about the Hermann death notice, I checked my Missouri resources and found that Dr. Bosso's obituary was also printed in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch newspaper. I couldn't access the St. Louis Public Library site today(where obits ...
by elmosgirl
09 Jan 2017, 03:11
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Dr. Robert Bosso
Replies: 15
Views: 6432

Re: Dr. Robert Bosso

Hi Tessa and Suanj,
The newspaper from Hermann caught my eye, since my husband's family settled in this small town in the 1850s.
I know the town very, very well!

I was surprised to see it pop up on Italian Genealogy since it is a German town through and through!
Even to this day :-) Then I became ...
by elmosgirl
27 Aug 2016, 18:16
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Earthquake - ItalGen ?
Replies: 6
Views: 7091

Re: Earthquake - ItalGen ?

Here from the United States, what we can do is send money, any amount,
to the Italian Red Cross at this link: https://www.ammado.com/fundraiser/italy-eq/donate
to help with food, medicines, tents, dogs, whatever is needed.

I also made a contribution using PayPal directly through a genealogy ...
by elmosgirl
22 Aug 2016, 18:46
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Military records, Lista de leva
Replies: 5
Views: 4054

Re: Military records, Lista de leva

Thank you for your thoughts, adellagreca.

If, as you write, male children when born in a particular comune were entered in records for military planning purposes, then as I pointed out in my post, brothers of the child-in-question should be in the records. They are not, or not all the known ...
by elmosgirl
22 Aug 2016, 18:31
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Help from someone in Italy
Replies: 7
Views: 3721

Re: Help from someone in Italy

Hello Anizio and Ann,

When (and if) I have a reply from my previously-hired researcher in Italy, I will let you know what I learn, Anizio.

Ann, if you will reread my reply carefully, I believe you might clear your misunderstanding of what I wrote.
I do not suggest "asking an ex-pat" to travel to ...
by elmosgirl
21 Aug 2016, 22:42
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Military records, Lista de leva
Replies: 5
Views: 4054

Military records, Lista de leva

Let's hope someone reading this can unscramble what is
a most curious military record in the Salerno Archives.

My great-uncle comes up in the lista de leva records on-line at
http://www.archiviodistatosalerno.beniculturali.it/index.php?it/256/ricerca-nelle-liste-di-leva

Years ago, I received ...
by elmosgirl
21 Aug 2016, 22:29
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Help from someone in Italy
Replies: 7
Views: 3721

Re: Help from someone in Italy

Hello Anizio,

I've been hoping (and asking) to find a qualified, reliable researcher to help with records in Naples I cannot
access myself. Thus far, I haven't had replies.

However, I did hire an ex-pat in the Potenza province to do the same for me and it was a godsend.

You've made me think I'll ...
by elmosgirl
17 Aug 2016, 03:36
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Born somewhere in Potenza
Replies: 3
Views: 3531

Re: Born somewhere in Potenza

Hello Ms Blue,

Since you know the State (Potenza) where your 2nd great-grandfather was born, and you believe his birthyear to be around 1860, plus you have his parents' names, I wonder if it would be helpful to request/search for his military registration record in the Archives in the State of ...
by elmosgirl
17 Aug 2016, 03:14
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Naming illegitimate children late 1800's
Replies: 30
Views: 20203

Re: Naming illegitimate children late 1800's

Hello Ms. Mary,
We have an illegitimate birth in our tree, late 1800s in Italy, where a lot of digging in records finally linked the child to the bloodline mother/ancestor. The illegitimate child was given a strange 'name' that wasn't one in the family (and as we later learned was not the name of ...
by elmosgirl
17 May 2016, 14:12
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: birth records in early 1800s
Replies: 4
Views: 3223

Re: birth records in early 1800s

Thanks,Ann,
Wonderful answer that "fits" with my reading and thoughts.
But so good to have additional confirmation from another researcher.
I appreciate your time,
Noel
by elmosgirl
16 May 2016, 19:35
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: birth records in early 1800s
Replies: 4
Views: 3223

birth records in early 1800s

To Board members:

Some of the birth records I have are quite specific in noting the relationship of the parents,
where the scribe has recorded: sua legittimo moglie for the child's mother.

Other records merely note : moglie for the woman.

Some of my found records only name the woman, without any ...
by elmosgirl
24 Apr 2016, 23:09
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: help with 1811 birth record handwriting, please
Replies: 2
Views: 1916

Re: help with 1811 birth record handwriting, please

Hi Tessa,
Wonderful, and extra nice that you replied!
Grazie!
Noel