Search found 8 matches

by JimmyT
18 Apr 2012, 17:44
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: "Domenico" Americanized as "Thomas"??
Replies: 2
Views: 877

Re: "Domenico" Americanized as "Thomas"??

Yes, on the 1940 census. We found that a cousin Domenico living in the same building had listed himself as Thomas. It seems that when trying to americanize their names they didn't always go to the obvious translation. My grandfather was named Vincenzo but used the name James on my father's birth cer...
by JimmyT
25 Mar 2012, 17:24
Topic: Trying to get NYC to file birth certificate for deceased GF
Replies: 3
Views: 1146

Re: Trying to get NYC to file birth certificate for deceased

I neglected to mention that the first step you should take is to present your documentation to NYC and request the recording of your grandfather's birth. You never know, they might accept and you will be done. If they don't, then their rejection letter becomes the basis of your court order. You can'...
by JimmyT
25 Mar 2012, 17:18
Topic: Trying to get NYC to file birth certificate for deceased GF
Replies: 3
Views: 1146

Re: Trying to get NYC to file birth certificate for deceased

If you have overwhelming proof, then you can get a court order to have the city record his birth. This is not too difficult. You can do it yourself. You would need to go to the New York State Supreme Court (not like federal courts, the supreme court is actually a lower level court). I think it costs...
by JimmyT
11 Mar 2012, 19:21
Topic: Taormina - Montelepre, Conigliaro - Borgetto
Replies: 5
Views: 1844

Re: Taormina - Montelepre, Conigliaro - Borgetto

Thank you Tessa and Pippo for your assistance. I'm a little confused at this point. I'm sorry, I don't know how to upload images to this site, but I know you both are familiar with the familysearch.org access to church records. So, I'm going to reference the documents rather than show them here. The...
by JimmyT
09 Mar 2012, 18:26
Topic: Taormina - Montelepre, Conigliaro - Borgetto
Replies: 5
Views: 1844

Taormina - Montelepre, Conigliaro - Borgetto

Hi,

Looking for possible relatives through my great grandparents. They are

Salvatore Taormina married to Lucrezia Gaglio from Montelepre

and Domenico Conigliaro married to Benedetta Lupo from Borgetto.

Both couples were married approximately 1880, +/- 5 years.
by JimmyT
23 Mar 2011, 22:35
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Discrepancy in first name
Replies: 6
Views: 1765

Re: Discrepancy in first name

New York City. I'm going tomorrow to change my birth certificate. It probably won't be ready in time, but I'll have a head start.

You've made me feel better concerning how they will treat me.
by JimmyT
23 Mar 2011, 13:01

Re: Discrepancy in first name

My mother is still living. My question at this point is that if they have a problem with the middle names and I have to get documents changed, will they allow me time to fix the documents or will the whole package be rejected and i'm back on the waiting list for a year from now?
by JimmyT
23 Mar 2011, 01:15

Discrepancy in first name

I have no discrepancies involving our last name. My problem is with my father's first name. He was born and baptized Domenico, but used Dominick on all documents throughout his life. Marriage, my birth certificate, even his death certificate all show Dominick. I hope this is minor as it is just a di...