Search found 62 matches

by acartia
16 Dec 2011, 21:28
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: My Italian Father
Replies: 1
Views: 903

Re: My Italian Father

Without understanding barely one word of Italian, I can feel along with you on your beautiful song.Very well done. So do you have your birth certificate even though you were adopted? Do you know your half brothers or sisters? Do you have any name at all for your father? or not even a first name.I wi...
by acartia
28 Nov 2011, 15:40
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Italian death certificates regarding cause of death
Replies: 2
Views: 2126

Re: Italian death certificates regarding cause of death

I appreciate your response Ann. As I have only had about 6 certificates from Italy at this stage. My interest is really an academic or comparative interest, more than anything I have so far found on my Italian certificates. I have a lot of Australian certificates from my mothers side of the family, ...
by acartia
27 Nov 2011, 09:19
Topic: Help from Scotland for telephone number please
Replies: 4
Views: 2595

Re: Help from Scotland for telephone number please

I can conclude my request on my post here with very good news. Patrizia worked on this for me, and confirmed that my cousin in Scotland seemed to be still living in the same area, and then came up with the correct international and local required digits to be added to my cousins phone number,to get ...
by acartia
25 Nov 2011, 15:55
Topic: Italian death certificates regarding cause of death
Replies: 2
Views: 2126

Italian death certificates regarding cause of death

I understand that Italian death certificates say 1860s-1920s do not give a cause of death. But say if a death was by suicide, homicide, or accidental are they ever stated as such on an Italian death certificate from that era? Also what happens with a stillborn child.Is it registered as a birth only ...
by acartia
25 Nov 2011, 14:01
Topic: Re: Slow computer downloading from this site.
Replies: 3
Views: 2894

Re: Slow computer downloading from this site.

Edmondo, I showed your suggestions to my much smarter son with computers than I am. He used the Chrome one as you mentioned, and it is so fast on this site now I barely have time to think! I just wonder with Suanj`s slow problem as well if she has the same problem I have had over the last week or so...
by acartia
18 Nov 2011, 15:32

Re: Help from Scotland for telephone number please

Pippo, I have tried the name in now a few times on the link you sent, but it always comes up negative. It is more than likely that my cousin is not on the landline phone system now and maybe on mobile only. I would have thought though that her sons names would have shown up, as I think they are stil...
by acartia
18 Nov 2011, 01:11

Help from Scotland for telephone number please

I am in Australia and I have been unable to contact my Italian cousin living in Scotland.I have a phone number that worked a couple of years back and prior to that, but have had no success with it since then.I am just hopeful that someone in Scotland may have a recent telephone directory next to the...
by acartia
05 Nov 2011, 01:16
Topic: Photographs
Replies: 5
Views: 1705

Re: Photographs

Angie, I am just so happy to hear that good news. Do you think you may also get a photo with your grandmothers certificates as well! Lets hope so. As I stated earlier, my fathers Australian Nat papers had no photo with it, and to make matters worse I think he must have had to hand in his Italian pas...
by acartia
27 Oct 2011, 16:08
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: 1910 Passport Information
Replies: 6
Views: 2972

Re: 1910 Passport Information

I cannot read Italian but found it interesting from the replies that state "sent back due to her poor condition and sick" It bought to mind when my father was booked and due to leave Genoa with his sister in 1927. he was given a final medical by immigration and found to have a hernia. He w...
by acartia
25 Oct 2011, 15:56
Topic: Photographs
Replies: 5
Views: 1705

Re: Photographs

Is the photo under the glass now damaged? I presume you do not live near the gravesite, but I would try and get someone to photograph that picture for you, if of course it is not badly damaged.If the photo was taken by a studio photographer it could have their studio name on the back, and many studi...
by acartia
12 Oct 2011, 18:06
Topic: Question about when a child died on board...
Replies: 7
Views: 2131

Re: Question about when a child died on board...

I agree with Tessa on that.It just looks like the date of death, the 23th etc. The other child that perished on the trip looks like "drowned" and the date, but I am open to correction on that. Falling overboard or what? Makes one shudder reading it. John
by acartia
03 Oct 2011, 15:37
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: help with ship name and town name
Replies: 12
Views: 2899

Re: help with ship name and town name

Hello alm, I have been going through a heap of Ellis Island shipping records online, for a friend. I am new to those records anyhow as my main interest for old incoming ship records is in Australia. I have kept in mind though "your ship" Staloino, but have seen nothing that can match that ...
by acartia
01 Oct 2011, 03:47
Topic: Marriage certificate/ birth records
Replies: 14
Views: 3521

Re: Marriage certificate/ birth records

Just a google search tells me of a Saint Pelagia, who can be known as Margarito,Saint Marina or Saint Margaret.The usual date of celebration is 8 October, but it mentions that it can also be 5 May or 23 July , but the 8 October seems to be the main accepted day. Now to go from Pelagia to Margaret,wh...
by acartia
30 Sep 2011, 16:54

John again! I cannot help being interested in what is going on in that census of your family.(I am waiting on a bunch of Italian certificates, and then I will start in earnest on my fathers side of the family, but until then I have a bit of time). I do think now that those kids on the census are all...
by acartia
29 Sep 2011, 15:20

Sorry,in my previous post I did misread that Pauline may have been known as Maggie, but as you said, it was Margie that Pauline may have been known as. I would have thought that Maggie was a better chance to have been known as Margie, than a Pauline to be known as Margie. Hopefully it will work itse...