by erudita74
Yesterday, 15:00
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: occupation question
Replies: 5
Views: 240

Re: occupation question

Donna

I believe it's a vulgar or unrefined form of the word "scavatore," which is an "excavator." I've read that it is a trade passed down from father to son, and I believe it is found in communities surrounding Naples. It literally means "cut mountain."

Erudita
by erudita74
14 Oct 2021, 22:56
Topic: Help with church location please?
Replies: 3
Views: 246

Re: Help with church location please?

Do you have the next page of this record? If so, please post it, as the location should be given in the top line of the next page. If this record is online, best to post the link. It might be the city of Sciacca where Santa Maria del Soccorso is the patron saint, as I see the word patronna after the...
by erudita74
14 Oct 2021, 13:50
Topic: transcription di piazza
Replies: 4
Views: 271

Re: transcription di piazza

Thanks, Erudita, I agree. Also, Vincenzo was the widower of deceased Maria Arra. It's hard for me to read the rest, but maybe Vincenzo lived in the Parish of Santa Croce and Concetta in the Parish of San Nicola of Nicosia (?). But there are a lot of shortenings I can't read or interpret. I agree wi...
by erudita74
13 Oct 2021, 14:26
Topic: transcription di piazza
Views: 271

Re: transcription di piazza

Pippo
I think Tommaso's wife is Catarina Di Piazza e LaNocera (LaNocera being her "maiden" name/birth surname.

Antonina's surname also appears there. I read Gurgone found in the current Italian phonebook for the town

Erudita
by erudita74
01 Oct 2021, 16:22
Topic: Translation of 1714 Census (Messina)
Views: 654

Re: Translation of 1714 Census (Messina)

I think it's revealing that he has an old bicycle with a value of 1 and 6, and silver with a value of 18 for a total of 1.24. Someone else will have to explain this further to you. Here are some links you may find useful: https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Italy_Sicilian_Riveli_Records https://www...
by erudita74
29 Sep 2021, 21:22
Topic: Help needed with marriage registry translation.
Views: 647

Re: Help needed with marriage registry translation.

Just to clarify- Since the bride was a minor with both parents' deceased, she had to get the consent of a family council in order to marry. If family members were alive, and thus available to serve on this council, then it is true that the convened council would be comprised of family members such a...
by erudita74
28 Sep 2021, 13:35
Topic: Church Record Translation
Views: 768

Re: Church Record Translation

You're very welcome
Erudita
by erudita74
28 Sep 2021, 01:17
Topic: Church Record Translation
Views: 768

Re: Church Record Translation

I'm reading: Jan 21, 1714 Banns on 6th, 8th, and 14th of January and resulted in no impediments to the marriage. Groom: Nicola Pumo -never before married, legitimate and natural son of Notary Francesco and Maria Pumo of this town Bride: Barbara de Amico, never before married, legitimate and natural ...
by erudita74
25 Sep 2021, 20:39
Topic: Deciphering record
Views: 875

Re: Deciphering record

@erudita74 Io capirei così: Maria Palumbo, madre di Francesca, quando sposò Nicola Antonazzi (in seconde nozze), dovè esibire la fede di morte del primo marito (Vincenzo Paliotta figlio del fu Martino e padre di Francesca) che era deceduto a Vicaria in Napoli. Per questo il curato di Santa Maria Ma...
by erudita74
25 Sep 2021, 18:33
Topic: Deciphering record
Views: 875

Re: Deciphering record

James What I'm understanding is that, at the time of the marriage in 1820, Vincenzo, the bride Francesca's father, has been deceased for about 20 years and died in Vicaria (a district) of Naples. Of course, the estimation may be off, as the bride was 16 when she married in 1820, but her baptism reco...
by erudita74
20 Sep 2021, 13:17
Topic: Church marriage: Luigi Trovato and Maria Santoro
Replies: 7
Views: 977

Re: Church marriage: Luigi Trovato and Maria Santoro

Thanks erudita74 and salve! I agree that's difficult sometimes to get the names right between the handwritte + latin equivalents :? So, it seems the record is the right one! Just to confirm: - Date: 15-sep-1811 - Groom: Luigi Trovato - Bride: Maria Santoro - Groom's parents: Domenico Trovato and Ro...
by erudita74
20 Sep 2021, 13:15

salve wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 00:16 Whoops. Reading Latin by itself doesn't give you historical knowledge of the name equivalents. I'm glad to be corrected.
Good effort on your part. These Latin church records are very difficult-especially with so many abbreviations and no set standard for format and content.

Erudita
by erudita74
20 Sep 2021, 00:09

D. Antonino Trovato is the priest before whom the couple was appearing to be married. The abbreviation D stands for the word Don, which is a honorific title given to priests, nobles, etc The name Aloysius is the Latin equivalent of the Italian Luigi or the English name Louis. You do have the correct...
by erudita74
19 Sep 2021, 11:31
Topic: Reading two surnames
Views: 914

Re: Reading two surnames

salve wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 06:53 Hi all, I've managed to translate a hundred or so surnames so far as I build my family tree but these two are stumping me. Can anyone help? I've underlined them in white.
I'm reading Maienza (written as Majenza in the record) as Caterina's surname.