Mark
by mjclayton1
17 Oct 2021, 22:09
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Lucca città - Barga
Replies: 8
Views: 404

Re: Lucca città - Barga

Hi, T! Thanks for this. I was generally looking at the Family Search records, but couldn't understand why I wasn't able to find Maria Fontana's Birth record. Likely, ca. 1875. Since there's a wide gap in yearly records online for Albiano and Fosciandora (must be held in the comune as you say), I was...
by mjclayton1
17 Oct 2021, 19:27

Re: Lucca città - Barga

Thanks, Livio and Angela. Much appreciated. I'm trying to better understand the two towns/hamlets mentioned (Albiano and Fosciandora) and where Family Search "hides" (stores) those records. In the Wiki web-site for Barga, there are noted frazioni for: Castelvecchio Pascoli Filecchio Fornac...
by mjclayton1
17 Oct 2021, 05:25

Lucca città - Barga

Hello, Everyone- re: Numero 51... https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9W7-BJXY?i=1341&cat=820379 (file says its too large for me to attach?!) Can you translate the name of the city/town that Sabato Moscardini and Maria Fontana come from? This is a Barga, Lucca record. It looks like...
by mjclayton1
12 Sep 2021, 09:18
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: 16 December 1857 Basilicata Earthquake (AKA the Great Neapolitan Earthquake) Fatalities – Saponara di Grumento, Potenza
Replies: 36
Views: 4103

Re: 16 December 1857 Basilicata Earthquake (AKA the Great Neapolitan Earthquake) Fatalities – Saponara di Grumento, Pote

Joe's link works for me (MacBook Air - Safari). That said, my goodness, the work/research done here never ceases to amaze me... Ciao, Angela- You may recall my significant other has a connection to Saponara di Grumento (her maternal grandfather - Giorgio Giuseppe Rago). You've helped me here or the...
by mjclayton1
10 Sep 2021, 08:14
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: 16 December 1857 Basilicata Earthquake (AKA the Great Neapolitan Earthquake) Fatalities – Saponara di Grumento, Potenza
Replies: 36
Views: 4103

Re: 16 December 1857 Basilicata Earthquake (AKA the Great Neapolitan Earthquake) Fatalities – Saponara di Grumento, Pote

Joe's link works for me (MacBook Air - Safari). That said, my goodness, the work/research done here never ceases to amaze me... Ciao, Angela- You may recall my significant other has a connection to Saponara di Grumento (her maternal grandfather - Giorgio Giuseppe Rago). You've helped me here or ther...
by mjclayton1
01 Aug 2021, 02:39
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: How Rare is This?
Replies: 13
Views: 2232

Re: How Rare is This?

You guys have an embarrassment of riches in terms of your past. Enjoy it.
by mjclayton1
18 Jun 2021, 20:40
Topic: Comparing Notes
Replies: 7
Views: 1441

Re: Comparing Notes

I'm stuck at 1871 (civil records) as I have no access to parish records. Some branches go back further only due to other people's research (including notary records). But even these are mostly the male lines only. Very frustrating. Why can't you go back to 1820 with civil records? Just a guess here...
by mjclayton1
08 Jun 2021, 19:20
Forum: Genetic genealogy
Topic: Sicilian DNA
Replies: 84
Views: 18285

Re: Sicilian DNA

I’m 1/4 Sicilian (maternal grandfather). A couple of years ago, I uploaded my raw DNA to MyHeritage from 23andMe. The result was 18.8% “Greek and South Italian” as well as 4.1% “Italian”. Then, a few months ago, I did same with my Ancestry Raw data (separate test - everyone knows Ancestry and 23andM...
by mjclayton1
05 Jun 2021, 18:05
Topic: Tracing your Geneology: What methods do you find the most useful?
Replies: 6
Views: 1200

Re: Tracing your Geneology: What methods do you find the most useful?

Oh, and I would much rather do the work myself than hire a professional. I understand some don't have the time - or the wherewithal - but those discoveries that YOU make are absolutely priceless. I think you would be surprised at how excited the 'professionals' get when a brick wall is broken down ...
by mjclayton1
05 Jun 2021, 06:11
Topic: Tracing your Geneology: What methods do you find the most useful?
Views: 1200

Re: Tracing your Geneology: What methods do you find the most useful?

What "methods" are most useful? There's plenty of data out there to mine (for Italian research, Family Search and Antenati are the tops for me), but more than anything else I would say "persistence" is key. Genealogical research is both uplifting and exhausting. There are far mor...
by mjclayton1
20 May 2021, 03:41
Topic: Family Photos Online
Replies: 5
Views: 418

Re: Family Photos Online

Deadfred: https://deadfred.com Interesting (er... for me at least) to note that I'm 90+% sure that I'm related to a David Sweeney whose photo was posted there. He would be my (maternal) 2nd great grand uncle. Unfortunately, the person that posted this photo never answered my subsequent e-mail inquir...
by mjclayton1
28 Apr 2021, 00:32
Topic: RE:BLANK PRINTABLE FORMS ONLINE
Views: 633

Re: RE:BLANK PRINTABLE FORMS ONLINE

Try: www.capitalareagenealogy.org

(Harrisburg, PA)

They have some “Extract” forms that appear to refer to the content contained in certain period ship passenger manifests.
by mjclayton1
31 Mar 2021, 06:23
Forum: Genetic genealogy
Topic: Sicilian DNA
Replies: 84
Views: 18285

Re: Sicilian DNA

So, if my father was 100% Sicilian and my mother was 0% Sicilian, I and my siblings should have 50% Sicilian ancestry in our DNA. What could cause that to vary, assuming my parents' ancestry is correct? Also, what company/test would be best to answer that question of percent Sicilian ancestry? Read...
by mjclayton1
23 Mar 2021, 03:52
Topic: Mother of deceased male - Giovanna Salvo?
Replies: 2
Views: 292

Re: Mother of deceased male - Giovanna Salvo?

Thanks, Livio. I appreciate your time and you always being so helpful.

Mark