Search found 2481 matches

by mler
20 Apr 2009, 11:22
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: New Italian Law March 2009
Replies: 100
Views: 87595

Re: New Italian Law March 2009

Hi teddi, Thank you for posting specifics on the history of legal action in Italy regarding the 1948 ruling and citizenship. My knowledge is only anecdotal, based on my membership on several citizenship boards. I do recall (but have yet to locate) that someone reported a direct challenge to the law ...
by mler
20 Apr 2009, 02:45
Topic: Italian citizenship
Replies: 5
Views: 4647

Re: Italian citizenship

At one time, naturalization in any country was considered renunuciation of Italian citizenship. Your father, however, naturalized after 1992, when Italy began to permit dual citizenship. Your father obtained Italian citizenship from his father, and since he never renounced, you obtained citizenship ...
by mler
20 Apr 2009, 02:39

Thank you. I certainly will. I know you're a lawyer, but it's not really necessary to file a jure sanguinis application through a lawyer. Most applicants go it alone. If you are very busy, getting help with locating documents and doing the legwork certainly will make your life easier; but the proces...
by mler
20 Apr 2009, 00:22

I cannot begin to tell you how rewarding (albeit often frustrating) it is to trace the generations of family for jure sanguinis, and this is the perfect site to begin your quest. If you want more information on the ruling, you may want to join the forum at www.expatsinitaly.com This is a good group,...
by mler
19 Apr 2009, 23:12

Joe, this is only a guess because I'm not as familiar with the details of this law as you are but, based on this discussion and the details provided by teddi, the woman who initiated this action was precluded from obtaining citizenship only because her grandmother married an American and thus lost h...
by mler
19 Apr 2009, 15:58

I wish you luck with this, but I honestly think an easier approach would be to go through your dad. My son and I both obtained our citizenship last year--my son through his greatgrandfather--and many of those pursuing citizenship have traced their lines to greatgreatgrandparents. My nephew and two c...
by mler
19 Apr 2009, 11:38

Hi Joe, The court ruling you cite is limited in its scope, and, unfortunately, there is no basis to assume that a ruling focusing on one article in a law then applies to all articles of that law. In fact, history proves otherwise. In 1948, the law changed to allow women to pass citizenship to their ...
by mler
18 Apr 2009, 22:14

I think, Joe, that you are expanding the stated intent of the ruling. Before 1948, women married to foreign nationals lost Italian citizenship and thus the ability to pass citizenship to their children. Should the ruling be adopted as law, women in this situation would be recognized as having mainta...
by mler
18 Apr 2009, 11:26
Topic: Basic Education Request about Dual Citizenship
Replies: 12
Views: 9433

Re: Basic Education Request about Dual Citizenship

Yes, number 4 is our friend. The way I understand it, renouncing Italian citizenship is a formal process, and your mother would have had to have gone to a consulate and filled out some forms and sworn that she was renouncing. No, prior to 1992, the mere act of naturalizing abroad (even involuntaril...
by mler
18 Apr 2009, 11:18

Agree totally. This Supreme Court ruling (which I am not certain has even been formally adopted as yet) only would establish that woman who married foreign nationals before 1948 retained their citizenship. It does not in any way indicate that that the rules regarding the transmission of citizenship ...
by mler
17 Apr 2009, 12:28
Topic: Certificate of Naturalization
Replies: 4
Views: 4549

Re: Certificate of Naturalization

Generally, if you bring the original certificate of naturalization to the consulate and a copy, they will return the original to you. But based on your post, your father became a U.S. citizen before you were born. Even if he insisted that he never renounced Italian citizenship, the fact that he natu...
by mler
15 Apr 2009, 13:44
Topic: naturalization of GGF
Replies: 6
Views: 5253

Re: naturalization of GGF

The link provided by pink67 provides both the Declaration of Intention Number and the Petition Number. With this information, it it likely that you can obtain the preliminary naturalization documents at the NARA office on Varick Street in NYC. If you are looking for this information for purposes of ...
by mler
12 Apr 2009, 13:14
Topic: Basic Education Request about Dual Citizenship
Replies: 12
Views: 9433

Re: Basic Education Request about Dual Citizenship

For today's applicants, it often means going back several generations--parent, grandparent, greatgrandparent, greatgreatgrandparent--and it's permissible to do this as long as the citizenship line is never broken. In reality, however, we all go back only one generation. Your mother obtained citizens...
by mler
10 Apr 2009, 15:49
Topic: Document help
Replies: 11
Views: 7900

Re: Document help

This is a difficult one. If I understand correctly, the Certificate of Naturalization has the American name. The preliminary papers show both names, but the Italian name is incorrectly spelled and the birthdate is more than a year off. You may get by with an affidavit, but be prepared with the preli...
by mler
09 Apr 2009, 11:31
Topic: Document help
Replies: 11
Views: 7900

Re: Document help

I just check my husband's and my grandmother's Certificates of Naturalization. Neither had a birth date. They did, however, have his age, which your GGF's should have as well. Since naturalization documents cannot be amended, I'd suggest going with the Certificate. If it is simply an Americanized na...