Surname - Modica

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Paolino1

Surname - Modica

Post by Paolino1 »

Hi my name is Paolino Modica and i wanted to know if anyone knows where i cand find more information bout my surname - Modica.

// Paolino Modica
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Modica is an Italian surname and found in the italian surname dictionary but is without any meaning and neither is Modica a word in the Italian word dictionary. There are 2,120 persons in all of Italy surnamed Modica with 75% or 1500 located in the island of Sicily and the rest thruout Ityaly. If you go to www.familysearch.org and look under ancestor search you will find 138 listings for Modica thruout the world as reported to the Mormon church family history library. Further in Italy all records are in the town of origin and should you know the town of origin you can either go to ww.paginebianche.it and look to see if there are any persons in the town with your surname who may very well be relatives. Further if you wish to conduct a research of your family then go to the Family History Library nearest your home and they will be able to give you for a nominal fee the microfilm for that town in Italy that is the origin of your Modica family. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Paolino: Modica surname means inhabitant of Modica town (Ragusa province-Sicily region)..
When then there was the cognomizzazione ( emission surnames)of Italian citizens in the Middle Ages, inhabitants of Modica that moved themselves on territory were indicate with surname that it indicated origin.
The Modica name is much ancient, and derives from Motyka Greek word as it came called the town from Sicani people, and then from Siculi people, belonging to the dominion of Syracuse's tyrant Gelone. The name was transformed in Mohac during the Arabic domination that taken possession around the IX century.
Probably the meant of its name "is situated between two torrents" in fact the ancient nucleus was situated in goes them between two rivers "Ianni Mauro" and "Pozzo dei Pruni", then covered because of the numerous alluviums.
Regards, :wink: suanj
Paolino1

Post by Paolino1 »

Thanx alot for the help!!

// Paolino