Montesarchio

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
schoolnurse

Montesarchio

Post by schoolnurse »

On my gggrandfather's marriage license, it said he was born in Montesarchio, province of Principata Ultra. This was in 1851. All current information has Montesarchio in Benevento and I'm unable to even find a province called Principata Ultra. Does anyone know a website that has information about provinces in Italy around that time?
Thanks,
Donna
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Go to http://www.italyworldclub.com/index.htmland follow the link to "Census of 1742." There you will find a explanation of how the old Province of Principato Ultra (with its capital of Benevento) corresponds to the present provinces of Southern Italy.
John Armellino
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Montesarchio

Post by suanj »

schoolnurse wrote:On my gggrandfather's marriage license, it said he was born in Montesarchio, province of Principata Ultra. This was in 1851. All current information has Montesarchio in Benevento and I'm unable to even find a province called Principata Ultra. Does anyone know a website that has information about provinces in Italy around that time?
Thanks,
Donna
Hi Donna: Principato Ultra(or Ulteriore) was ancient province of Campania region. The 25.10.1860 (25 October 1860) Montesarchio town was annexed to a new province from Italian government .
This new province was Benevento. Other Commons that was of Principato Ultra (that comprised also part of the territory of Avellino) are:
Vitulano, S. Giorgio la Montagna, Paduli, Pescolamazza, S. Giorgio la Molara and others...
schoolnurse

Post by schoolnurse »

John and Suanj,
Thank you so much for the info. I even had an old Atlas, but could not find that. I am going to that website now----it sounds interesting!
Thanks again
Donna