Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
I've been reading some Sicilian records (births & deaths). When referring to the husband, they usually state his occupation. When they refer to the wife, sometimes they will say she is the wife (moglie) or sometimes they will say what she does (filandaia), but I have also seen some records where they say the wife is "volgare". What does that really mean?
Thanks,
Bette
You can easily verify the meaning of "volgare" on a dictionary (for example: http://www.wordreference.com/iten/volgare ) but i'm not sure that the officier wrote exactly that word. I think this is a very odd term referred to a woman.
L.
il 95% della popolazione faceva parte allora del cosidetto "volgo"... quindi lo ritengo poco "caratterizzante". Propendo più per una lettura errata o qualcosa di simile.
Ever since I was a little boy, my dad would show me my great grandfather's card, and tell me that he was a count in Italy. I was always intrigued by that, but never really thought about asking my grandmother questions, or anyone else for that matter. About ten years ago, as more and more information...