Translating Latin names to Italian

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
User avatar
TomG
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 40
Joined: 16 Aug 2008, 18:24

Translating Latin names to Italian

Post by TomG »

This site has been so helpful in finding family links! We finally found my grandmother's family, and we visited them in May thanks to this wonderful site.

I've found church records on familysearch.org, but now I need to translate the first names into Italian. I can figure out the more common ones like Joannes is Giovanni and Josephus is Guiseppe, but is there a site where I can find translations of names like Aloysia?

Or should I just post the names I can't figure out on this site and hope someone can help me?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Translating Latin names to Italian

Post by wldspirit »

Names can be found at this LINK
wldspirit
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
User avatar
TomG
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 40
Joined: 16 Aug 2008, 18:24

Re: Translating Latin names to Italian

Post by TomG »

Thanks, but I'm looking for a way to translate the Latin names to Italian. Your link was helpful for the English versions of names.
User avatar
nazca
Elite
Elite
Posts: 271
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 17:59
Location: Palermo, Italy
Contact:

Re: Translating Latin names to Italian

Post by nazca »

Hi,
Aloysia is Luisa in italian . There is a famous woman saint with name Aloysia:

Saint Louise de Marillac (August 12, 1591 - March 15, 1660) was the co-founder, with St. Vincent de Paul, of the Daughters of Charity. She is venerated as a saint by the Roman Catholic Church.

best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
User avatar
Lucap
Master
Master
Posts: 751
Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 16:27
Location: Terni - Italy

Re: Translating Latin names to Italian

Post by Lucap »

TomG wrote:...Or should I just post the names I can't figure out on this site and hope someone can help me?
:wink:

Luca
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 217
Joined: 31 Aug 2006, 00:00

Re: Translating Latin names to Italian

Post by dragoni »

if luisa is aloysia would luigi be aloyisius then? i have a relative who is listed on a birth record asa luigi and a marriage record as aloyisius and was curious whether it was a "middle' name or just translation in latin. thanks.

tom
User avatar
nazca
Elite
Elite
Posts: 271
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 17:59
Location: Palermo, Italy
Contact:

Re: Translating Latin names to Italian

Post by nazca »

Hi,
Luisa and Luigi are the italian form of ancient french Clovis: after the form "Looïs" o "Louis" in middle age are born italian form "Aloisio", "Luigi" , "Luisa". Other name derivated are : "Alvise" and feminine "Eloise"

best regards.
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
Post Reply