This site has been so helpful in finding family links! We finally found my grandmother's family, and we visited them in May thanks to this wonderful site.
I've found church records on familysearch.org, but now I need to translate the first names into Italian. I can figure out the more common ones like Joannes is Giovanni and Josephus is Guiseppe, but is there a site where I can find translations of names like Aloysia?
Or should I just post the names I can't figure out on this site and hope someone can help me?
Translating Latin names to Italian
Re: Translating Latin names to Italian
Names can be found at this LINK
wldspirit
wldspirit
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Re: Translating Latin names to Italian
Thanks, but I'm looking for a way to translate the Latin names to Italian. Your link was helpful for the English versions of names.
Re: Translating Latin names to Italian
Hi,
Aloysia is Luisa in italian . There is a famous woman saint with name Aloysia:
Saint Louise de Marillac (August 12, 1591 - March 15, 1660) was the co-founder, with St. Vincent de Paul, of the Daughters of Charity. She is venerated as a saint by the Roman Catholic Church.
best regards
Aloysia is Luisa in italian . There is a famous woman saint with name Aloysia:
Saint Louise de Marillac (August 12, 1591 - March 15, 1660) was the co-founder, with St. Vincent de Paul, of the Daughters of Charity. She is venerated as a saint by the Roman Catholic Church.
best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
Re: Translating Latin names to Italian
TomG wrote:...Or should I just post the names I can't figure out on this site and hope someone can help me?
Luca
Re: Translating Latin names to Italian
if luisa is aloysia would luigi be aloyisius then? i have a relative who is listed on a birth record asa luigi and a marriage record as aloyisius and was curious whether it was a "middle' name or just translation in latin. thanks.
tom
tom
Re: Translating Latin names to Italian
Hi,
Luisa and Luigi are the italian form of ancient french Clovis: after the form "Looïs" o "Louis" in middle age are born italian form "Aloisio", "Luigi" , "Luisa". Other name derivated are : "Alvise" and feminine "Eloise"
best regards.
Luisa and Luigi are the italian form of ancient french Clovis: after the form "Looïs" o "Louis" in middle age are born italian form "Aloisio", "Luigi" , "Luisa". Other name derivated are : "Alvise" and feminine "Eloise"
best regards.
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).




