Sansoni / Sansone Immigrated to Louisiana

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
LisaSansoniTastet

Sansoni / Sansone Immigrated to Louisiana

Post by LisaSansoniTastet »

I have recently begun researching my family tree and am not having much luck finding my Italian Sansoni / Sansone ancestors. I currently live in New Orleans, Louisiana.

My grandfather is Joseph Dominck Sansoni, he is still alive and resides in Marrero, Louisiana. To my knowledge he was born and raised in the Raceland area of Lafourche Parish. He had one brother Jarasch Leo Sansoni who died in Marrero, Louisiana. And has one sister Anna Mae who married a Tastet and now lives in Florida.

My great-grandfather was Simon Sansoni who married Emily Himel and later passed away about 1977 in Marrero, Jefferson Parish, Louisiana. He had a brother Andrew Sansone who also passed away in Marrero, LA.

Their father was Domenic Sansone. I have recently found his alien registration card dated March 12, 1942 which indicated that he was born about 1866 in Italy. It states that he resided at the Godchaux Sugar Plantation in Raceland, Louisiana. The spelling of his name may or may not be correct as he signed the document using his mark "x", which leads me to believe he didn't read or write. An old obituary of another family member indicates that his wife may have been named Sara / Sarah Compo / Campo.

I'm not sure how to research to find out if my great grandfather had any additional siblings. I also don't know how to obtain additional information about my Great-great grandfather Dominic and his siblings/parents/ancestors.

Any tips or names of ancestors is greatly greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Sansoni / Sansone Immigrated to Louisiana

Post by PeterTimber »

To familiarize yourself with italian genealogy go to the following website
ww.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/free_genealogy_research.html

This way you can feel more comfortable with the directions and the information provided you. =Peter=
~Peter~
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sal4 »

Hi Lisa....My husband Grandmother is Francesca Sansone from Termimi Imerse, Palermo, Sicily..She was born around 1886 and her parents were Giuseppe Sansone and Josepa Rini.........She came to New York from Italy then on to PA , then Illinois and finally to Ohio after her 1st husband was murdered.....Maybe there is a connection?........Sal4
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Possible manifest, age is about right, but doesn't list much info... :?
Birth year of 1865, which depending on birth day, could be 1866.

New Orleans Passenger Lists, 1820-1945

Name: Domenico Sansone
Arrival Date: 7 Nov 1892
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Trinacria
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Last Residence: Palermo
National Archives' Series Number: M259_77

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

From the SSDI:

Social Security Death Index

Name: Simon Sansoni
SSN:
Last Residence: 70072 Marrero, Jefferson, Louisiana, United States of America
Born: 25 Apr 1905
Died: Sep 1977
State (Year) SSN issued: Louisiana (Before 1951)

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Brother of Simon:

Social Security Death Index

Name: Andrew Sansone
SSN: 435-38-2304
Last Residence: 70072 Marrero, Jefferson, Louisiana, United States of America
Born: 22 Apr 1899
Died: 27 Jan 1994
State (Year) SSN issued: Louisiana (Before 1951)

having a difficult time placing this family in the Louisiana census with parents.....

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

HI

Here is a 1900 census that might be your family:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2332/1900i.jpg

(sorry, I can't get the image to upload better. You can save the image to your computer and enlarge. The detail will be readable)

Name: Dominic Sansoni
[Domonis Sansoni]
Home in 1900: New Orleans Ward 2, Orleans, Louisiana
Birth Date: May 1870
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Immigration Year: 1896
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Name: Micalli
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Name: Callogia
Marriage year: 1900
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 0
Residence : New Orleans City, Orleans, Louisiana
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Dominic Sansoni 30
Callogia Sansoni 20
Micalli Sansoni 69

Debbie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I searched using Dom* and San*......and couldn't locate it.... :lol:

Great find Deb!!

Lee

nolagirl

Post by nolagirl »

Hi,

I am looking for my great grandmother's immigration information I understand that she was on the Trinacria on Nov. 7, 1892 also. Her name was Rosalia Lombardo -- I'm not sure if she was married by then or not her married name would have been Rosalia Lombardo Amato, wife of Paul Amato. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Angela
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Angela and welcome!

You might want to repost your inquiry in a "New Topic". This is an old post and your request may get lost.

Meanwhile I'll take a look at ship's manifests to see if I can find her...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the 1892 manifest for Rosalia Lombardo, 28, married. Leaving port of Palermo, arriving port of New Orleans, LA, in November.

She is passenger #483...

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5084/l ... 92mani.jpg

T.
EDIT: This post is continued here...
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/Forums/ ... 17834.html
lisatastet

Post by lisatastet »

Hello Again. I had originally posted this comment when I very first began researching my family tree. Sadly, while I've uncovered some additional details, all they have done was further muddy the waters. I have still been unable to find out additional information on Dominick Sansoni or his wife Sarah. Many of the items I've found have conflicting dates, etc. I'm sure this was because neither of them were able to read or write so they probably had little means of record keeping and as such relied on memory, etc. Anyway, I have basically tried to put together an outline of the information that I have uncovered so far and have included it below. I know it's a jumbled mess, but I would love to find out if Dominich had any brother, sisters, etc. and who his parents were. I just don't know where to go from here. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them ....

Dominck Sansone

Born in Italy
Married about age 20 to Sara (or possibly Rosellia)
Had daughter Mary
Immigrated to US
Had Sons Andrew & later Simon
Lived in Assumption Parish, LA
Died in Louisiana

BIRTH IN ITALY
-- Birth Year TBD (see notes below)
-- 1858 -- (1930 Census states age 72; 1930-72=1858; listed as Dominick Lonsoni; born in Italy)
-- 1860 -- 01/15/1947 – LA Statewide Death Index shows Dominique Sonsoni died at age 87 in Lafourche, LA (am not positive that this is him, put feel fairly certain it is)
-- 1863 -- (1920 Census states age 57; 1920-57=1863; listed as Dominic Cinconia; born in Italy
-- 1866 -- (His 1942 Alien Registration Card states that his year of birth was unknown, it was estimated to be about 1866.)

MARRIAGE
-- Date TBD; assume it was in ITALY (see notes below)
-- ???? -- married Sarah Compo (name spelled phonetically per information obtained from his grandson (Joseph Dominck Sansoni and his wife Gladys). 1920 Census has name Rosellia Cinconia (not 100% sure this is same family, but do feel that it is).
-- ???? -- married at age 20 (per 1930 Census; Census states he was age 72 in 1930 and she was age 70)

IMMIGRATION FROM ITALY TO US
-- Date TBD (see notes below)
-- 1868 -- (Alien Registration Card states born in about 1866 and been in the US about 74 years; 1942-74=1868)
-- If birth of 1866 was correct, then this would mean that he arrived here at about 2 years of age
-- this can't be correct because Oldest daughter Mary states that she was born in Italy. Which means he would have immigrated with her and wife Sara (possibly named Rosellia)
-- 1890 -- (1910 Census for Mary states year of immigration as 1890 and we have her date of birth as December 27 (1886 or 1893, which means she was still a child and would have immigrated here with her parents)

CHILDREN
-- Had 3 children - Mary, Andrew & Simon
=========================
-- 1880 -- Mary born in Italy -- December 27th (1910 Census states 30 years old; 1910-30=1880)
-- 1886 -- Mary born in Italy -- 12/27/1886 (per other records)
-- 1893 -- Mary born in Italy – (1910 Census states 27 years old; 1910-27=1893)
==================
-- 1899 -- Andrew born in Louisiana – 04/22/1899 (per other records) (obituary stated born Vacherie, LA (St. James Parish)
-- 1901 -- Andrinri Cinconia born in Louisiana (1920 Census states 19 years old 1920-19=1901)
====================
-- 1905 – Simon born in Louisiana – 04/25/1905 (per other records); (1930 Census supports showing age 24 on 04/02/30)
-- 1906 – Cona Cinconia born in Louisiana – (1920 Census states 14 years old)

RESIDENCE
-- - Italy
-- 1899 – May have possibly lived in Vacherie, St James Parish, Louisiana (only place that states this is Andrew’s obituary)
-- 1910 – Assumption Parish, Louisiana
-- 1920 – Assumption Parish, Louisiana – ( 1920 Census)
-- 1930 – Marquette Plantation and Bayou Lafourche Road, Assumption Parish, Police Jury Ward 3 (1930 Census)
-- 1942 – Godchaux Sugar Plantation, Raceland, Lafourche Parish, Louisiana
-- 1947 – Death in Lafourche, Louisiana

DEATH
-- 1947 – 01/15/1947 – LA Statewide Death Index shows Dominique Sonsoni died at age 87 in Lafourche, LA (am not positive that this is him, put feel fairly certain it is)