Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Jim
I can't say that what it looks like is the correct surname, as I can't find the surname anywhere. I see Szettino. I just feel it has to be something else and am still trying to figure this one out. Maybe someone will beat me to you it.
Peg
But when I searched for names in the Campania region CONTAINING "ettino" there were numerous hits for "Schettino"...even in SMCV. Nothing else in the region came close.
That was my assumption also. The handwriting can't be any neater. It was just a puzzling name that I couldn't be sure of.
She is my 3g grandmother, so this becomes real important to me. I just want to feel comfortable chasing the right surname.
Thank you.
Jim
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
I agree with the "c". I wrestled quite a while with it. It can go either way.
I tried whatever Italian search engines I knew and came up blank on every combination.
I told you a while ago. "my ancestors don't want to be found"
I will probably guess at their wedding year and try to find the matrimoni. It may help. I probably don't have the film in my collection.
Thank you for your help.
Jim
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
I made 1 other observation. The first letter, while it definitely looks like an "S", does not have all the flourishes that all the other S's have. However, I can't see any other letter.
Jim
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
I noticed the same thing, Jim. I considered other possible first letters, but nothing seems to work for me. Sometimes getting away from something for a period of time and then going back to it gives you a whole new perspective. Let's hope that something manifests itself that none of us are currently seeing.
Peg
The dialects of modern Italian all have their roots in the spoken form of Latin (Vulgar Latin), in use throughout the Roman Empire. Vulgar Latin had, no doubt, its own local peculiarities before the fall of the Empire. The political instability that followed Roman rule kept Italy from re-uniting as ...