Salvatore Ianniello morti

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

Salvatore Ianniello morti

Post by oilman19 »

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/2817 ... edeath.jpg

This is the morti for my 2g grandfather. I finally have a look at his mother's name, but can't figure out her surname. Can someone please help? :?

Thank you

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Salvatore Ianniello morti

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
I can't say that what it looks like is the correct surname, as I can't find the surname anywhere. I see Szettino. I just feel it has to be something else and am still trying to figure this one out. Maybe someone will beat me to you it.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

meant to type "beat me to it."
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jim,

It looks like Sczettino to me.

When I searched for that surname by region (this site)
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognom ... pania.html
I got no hits.

But when I searched for names in the Campania region CONTAINING "ettino" there were numerous hits for "Schettino"...even in SMCV. Nothing else in the region came close.

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Peg :)

That was my assumption also. The handwriting can't be any neater. It was just a puzzling name that I couldn't be sure of.
She is my 3g grandmother, so this becomes real important to me. I just want to feel comfortable chasing the right surname.

Thank you.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

T
I tried finding the surname with the c in it too but got no hits either. Even searched on the Italian search engines.
Peg
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I agree with the "c". I wrestled quite a while with it. It can go either way.
I tried whatever Italian search engines I knew and came up blank on every combination.
I told you a while ago. "my ancestors don't want to be found" :lol:
I will probably guess at their wedding year and try to find the matrimoni. It may help. I probably don't have the film in my collection. :cry:

Thank you for your help.

Jim
Jim

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
If you do a google search of "czettino" you get hits. Looks like it was some kind of fortress. I see reference to Austria and Croatia.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Peg

I made 1 other observation. The first letter, while it definitely looks like an "S", does not have all the flourishes that all the other S's have. However, I can't see any other letter. :?

Jim
Jim

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I noticed the same thing, Jim. I considered other possible first letters, but nothing seems to work for me. Sometimes getting away from something for a period of time and then going back to it gives you a whole new perspective. Let's hope that something manifests itself that none of us are currently seeing.
Peg