Here is the full sentence from one of my relative's letters:
"Il marito di Maria lavora in fabrica distileria e con il fumo che esce ungrasto; ha respirato il fumo ha vecto anche lui andare ha l'ospedale per in fortunio..."
what is "ungrasto"?
- vintagegamer
- Veteran

- Posts: 144
- Joined: 17 Dec 2007, 03:54
- Contact:
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: what is "ungrasto"?
Two l's in distilleria = distillery. The other word is "un gasato" - "a still".
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- vintagegamer
- Veteran

- Posts: 144
- Joined: 17 Dec 2007, 03:54
- Contact:
Re: what is "ungrasto"?
Thanks Carmine!johnnyonthespot wrote:Two l's in distilleria = distillery. The other word is "un gasato" - "a still".
VG
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: what is "ungrasto"?
You're welcome.
And, shame on me, I should have said "the other word is probably meant to be "un gasato" - "a still".
And, shame on me, I should have said "the other word is probably meant to be "un gasato" - "a still".
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- vintagegamer
- Veteran

- Posts: 144
- Joined: 17 Dec 2007, 03:54
- Contact:
Re: what is "ungrasto"?
You are fine. This letter came from an elderly relative to my great great uncle back in 1968, and is chock full of grammar errors. I in no way want to disrespect my ancestor when saying that the writing has alot of errors, but it sure has made this letter challenging to read. I showed it to another friend who reads and writes italian and they said "it really looks like education levels were low for this person" and then they thought I'd be offended that they said that. I'm simply happy that so many have stepped up to help me translate a letter that's 42 years old and still in existence!johnnyonthespot wrote:You're welcome.
And, shame on me, I should have said "the other word is probably meant to be "un gasato" - "a still".