Help with baptismal record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
User avatar
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 142
Joined: 14 Apr 2010, 15:03

Help with baptismal record

Post by dixiecricket13 »

Hi -

Can someone translatethis record? I am curious as to why the mother appears to have 2 last names. ted

Thanks!
C
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Help with baptismal record

Post by maestra36 »

I can only make out some of the info in the records-

Father Jasper Raia (spelling?) was the chaplain of the parish church of Bisacquino. Yesterday around 12 midnight, Vincenza was born to Joseph Milazzo and Benedicta Lanza (??? Infanco-I can't find any such surname in this town or area and really don't know if this is the surname or not). Joseph and Benedicta were married. The chaplain baptized the baby and imposed the name of Vincenza to her. Godparents were Ioannes (John) Milazzo and Maria Caronna, spouses in the town.
User avatar
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 142
Joined: 14 Apr 2010, 15:03

Re: Help with baptismal record

Post by dixiecricket13 »

Hi -

Thanks for the translation. I couldn't make out the name after Lanza either!

-C
User avatar
Italysearcher
Master
Master
Posts: 3470
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
Location: Sora, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help with baptismal record

Post by Italysearcher »

Looks to me like Iafanco and was later corrected by the priest.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
User avatar
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 142
Joined: 14 Apr 2010, 15:03

Re: Help with baptismal record

Post by dixiecricket13 »

Hi -

I thought it looked like "Infanco" as well. Doesn't that mean infant? If so, why would he have corrected it with Lanza later?

On a separate post, you can find the marriage record of the parents where she is listed as having unknown parents; I am trying to figure out where the name Lanza came into the picture.

-C
Post Reply