I can get most of this, but I can't tell what was the occupation of the father. And after that it says "the 14th of ??? month"
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1695 ... 4at446.png
Then with this next section:
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/1695 ... 4at446.png
Thanks-
Lou
Birth Record help
Re: Birth Record help
On the first image...
Not familiar with what looks likes "gualano"
The month is "sudetto" which means "above mentioned"
T.
Not familiar with what looks likes "gualano"
The month is "sudetto" which means "above mentioned"
T.
Re: Birth Record help
Second image...
I'm assuming you want to know what the faint writing at the bottom reads
This is what I see...
"Verified in Gallichio on 16 October 1876"
Then signature of Official
T.
I'm assuming you want to know what the faint writing at the bottom reads
This is what I see...
"Verified in Gallichio on 16 October 1876"
Then signature of Official
T.
Re: Birth Record help
The occupation in the birth record is gualano, as T has deciphered it. I found the following on the Italian search engine virgilio.it
GUALANO
Deriva dal provenzale "golan"- giovane garzone; lavoratore agricolo a contratto annuo; addetto alla custodia di terre o alla custodia degli animali impiegati nell’aratura.
My understanding is as follows:
The word is derived from a provincial word -golan which means young boy. He was an agricultural worker, or farm laborer, with an annual contract. He was the caretaker of the land and of the animals. He was employed to do plowing.
If any of my native Italian friends on this forum need to correct my translation, please feel free to do so.
GUALANO
Deriva dal provenzale "golan"- giovane garzone; lavoratore agricolo a contratto annuo; addetto alla custodia di terre o alla custodia degli animali impiegati nell’aratura.
My understanding is as follows:
The word is derived from a provincial word -golan which means young boy. He was an agricultural worker, or farm laborer, with an annual contract. He was the caretaker of the land and of the animals. He was employed to do plowing.
If any of my native Italian friends on this forum need to correct my translation, please feel free to do so.
Re: Birth Record help
I also found the following website which has some pictures of some old occupations in the town of Gallicchio.
http://www.balzanor.altervista.org/4/mestieri.htm
http://www.balzanor.altervista.org/4/mestieri.htm
Re: Birth Record help
Thank you for the answers. Interesting pics and info. about the occupations in
Gallicchio. I appreciate the effort.
Lou
Gallicchio. I appreciate the effort.
Lou
- uantiti
- Elite

- Posts: 405
- Joined: 11 Jun 2008, 16:52
- Location: Piedmont (Biella) & Veneto (Venice), Italy
Re: Birth Record help
Not that this changes anything but "provenzale" stands for "Provencal" a language/dialect spoken in Southern France in Provence.maestra36 wrote:The occupation in the birth record is gualano, as T has deciphered it. I found the following on the Italian search engine virgilio.it
GUALANO
Deriva dal provenzale "golan"- giovane garzone; lavoratore agricolo a contratto annuo; addetto alla custodia di terre o alla custodia degli animali impiegati nell’aratura.
My understanding is as follows:
The word is derived from a provincial word -golan which means young boy. He was an agricultural worker, or farm laborer, with an annual contract. He was the caretaker of the land and of the animals. He was employed to do plowing.
If any of my native Italian friends on this forum need to correct my translation, please feel free to do so.
Ada
Re: Birth Record help
Thanks, Ada. That was the one thing I thought I had wrong.
Peg
Peg

