Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
So apparently nothing in their obits indicated how long they had been married?
Have you seen them on any census that would indicate how long they had been married?
I will try to take a look, on Saturday, at the marriages in the 1890's (I hope they have an index) and see if I can spot anything. Any clues you can provide would be helpful.
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
We also have a manifest for 1903 with both Giuseppe and Teresa on it (probably HE arrived in 1898, then went back to be married...OR they married before 1898???) In 1898, he would have been 19, and she would have been 18...
Have you seen the 1898 manifest? Does it indicate Giuseppe is married or single? If he was married, I probably have the marriage record. If he was single, I probably don't have that film yet.
All of these dates seem to fall through the cracks right now. I want so much to find at least 1 document that can get things started for Julie.
Thank you for finding that census for her. It will be helpful.
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
No, I haven't found a 1898, if there is one. You know how inaccurate the census records can be...
BUT - the manifest for 1903 has them arriving together, and married. So at least you know they were married before 1903.
I'll keep looking for other evidence of their marriage date. That 1910 census would really help, but not finding it. Will have to search for brothers Giovanni and Thomas...
I was really hoping to find they were married prior to 1898. I have the matrimoni records up to that point. I'm thinking that it is not likely since their children apparently were not born until 1906. That is a big gap for marriages of that time period.
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Jim and Tessa.....I've been looking again to see if I can find anything on
Family Search and I talked to my mother; she said that they were married
in Italy, but doesn't know what year and can't remember a big anniversary
party.
I wasn't able to find the 1910 census either; this is reassuring that the both of
you are running into the same roadblocks. I figured it was my experience.
It would be great if we could just find 1 record in S.M. That would most likely provide us with additional clues to start researching back.
Unfortunately, with all of the films I have (over 20 of them) none of the potential dates seem to line up with anything that I have available to me.
Don't give up. There is a clue out there somewhere that will get us into S.M. records. Plus, I continue to order new films.
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
You can use the above address to request Giuseppe's birth record.
If he was married in Italy, there should be a notation on his BR. SMCV seems to be very vigilant about making marriage notations there.
Also, like Jim, you can visit your nearest LDS Family History Center to order/view the SMCV films for yourself.
For the nearest center enter your zip code at the bottom of this link. http://familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
This looks like the film you would order since Giuseppe was born around 1879, and these records include the Nati (births) for 1877 - 1881.
Pubblicazioni, matrimoni, morti, cittadinanze 1876 -- Nati, pubblicazioni, matrimoni, morti, cittadinanze 1877-1881 -- Nati, pubblicazioni, matrimoni 1882 FHL INTL Film 1802562
While I await the arrival of my new film, I'll take a look at the one I have just in case.
I don't know about your GF, but mine ranged about 5 years after he came to the states. Until I found his birth act, I was never really sure about his age.
Thank you for the input. Every little bit of a clue will eventually get us to the correct record.
I will let you know if I find anything.
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
It's said Italy was a country of Saints, poets and navigators. There's no more trace of the poets and navigators but, fortunately, there are traces of the Saints. All the Italian towns are voted to a Saint and one of these is San Gennaro, well-known for his miracle. Who was San Gennaro? San Gennaro ...