solemn promise translation
solemn promise translation
I have tried to translate the solemn promise, but I have a few questions.
First, are the first 4 males listed, witnesses to the marriage? Are they typically relatives or not? Lacovara is the bride's mother's name as well as the brides paternal grandmother's name.
Second is the date of Marriage - June 17, 1863?
Any other important information included? Thanks, Annette
Here is the image:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6435/fb186321.jpg
First, are the first 4 males listed, witnesses to the marriage? Are they typically relatives or not? Lacovara is the bride's mother's name as well as the brides paternal grandmother's name.
Second is the date of Marriage - June 17, 1863?
Any other important information included? Thanks, Annette
Here is the image:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6435/fb186321.jpg
Re: solemn promise translation
The 4 were witnesses to this civil act which they had to take to the church to then get married. At the bottom, the last paragraph is signed by the church official stating that the marriage did take place on 6/17/1863. The witnesses to the marriage were different. Their names are at the bottom Vincenzo R ?? and Giuseppe Sergio (sp???)
The handwritten part is difficult to read but I'm sure someone else can decipher it.
The handwritten part is difficult to read but I'm sure someone else can decipher it.
Re: solemn promise translation
There are two Domenico Lacovara witnesses...bkworm10 wrote:I have tried to translate the solemn promise, but I have a few questions.
First, are the first 4 males listed, witnesses to the marriage? Are they typically relatives or not? Lacovara is the bride's mother's name as well as the brides paternal grandmother's name.
Second is the date of Marriage - June 17, 1863?
Any other important information included? Thanks, Annette
Here is the image:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6435/fb186321.jpg
The first is 38 and the son of Leonardo
The second is 60 and the son of Andrea
They could be relatives, you would have to find connections within the family. Relationship to the "sposi" is not indicated.
T.
Re: solemn promise translation
Is it Vincenzo Romano? That was a common name in Accettura. I'm not sure of Giuseppe's last name? Are witnesses in Italy typically male? Are they typically relatives? I think the groom's mother's surname was Raniero or something like that. I suppose it could be that instead of Romano.Sirena wrote:The witnesses to the marriage were different. Their names are at the bottom Vincenzo R ?? and Giuseppe Sergio (sp???)
The handwritten part is difficult to read but I'm sure someone else can decipher it.
Thanks, Annette
Re: solemn promise translation
Yes, I don't have connections yet - I just learned the new surname last week and yesterday. What is "sposi"? Is there something on the form that they could have checked to show they were relatives?Tessa78 wrote: There are two Domenico Lacovara witnesses...
The first is 38 and the son of Leonardo
The second is 60 and the son of Andrea
They could be relatives, you would have to find connections within the family. Relationship to the "sposi" is not indicated.
T.
Thanks, Tess!
-Annette
Re: solemn promise translation
Hi Annette,
Yes, I think Vincenzo's surname is Romano, and I think the other witness is Giuseppe Curzio.
Both surnames are found in Accettura...
Witnesses were not TYPICALLY relatives. Sometimes it was whoever was at hand...
T.
Yes, I think Vincenzo's surname is Romano, and I think the other witness is Giuseppe Curzio.
Both surnames are found in Accettura...
Witnesses were not TYPICALLY relatives. Sometimes it was whoever was at hand...
T.
Re: solemn promise translation
I'm sorry... SPOSI are the spouses.What is "sposi"? Is there something on the form that they could have checked to show they were relatives?
Nothing to check on the form to indicate relationship.
BTW - when looking for connections...
Domenico Lacovara, 38, son of Leonardo was a peasant farmer, and lived at Strada Piazza (no number)
Domenico Lacovara, 60, son of Andrea was also a peasant farmer, and lived at Strada S. Francesco (no number)
Families can often be found at the same address through generations...
T.
Re: solemn promise translation
Interesting...would it have an address on the bride's birth act? I sent that in another post. Her mother was a Lacovara and so was her paternal grandmother? Where else would it likely list the bride's address in the processetti? I have about 21 pages of documents of this processetti, most of which I did not post because it refers to the groom, of whom I am not related.Tessa78 wrote: BTW - when looking for connections...
Domenico Lacovara, 38, son of Leonardo was a peasant farmer, and lived at Strada Piazza (no number)
Domenico Lacovara, 60, son of Andrea was also a peasant farmer, and lived at Strada S. Francesco (no number)
Families can often be found at the same address through generations...
T.
Thanks, Annette
Re: solemn promise translation
Sometimes you will find that more information is listed about the groom in a marriage record, or father in a birth record.
Sometimes an address is given, and sometimes not...
Have to take what we can get
I translated the birth record you posted, but not much info in the record about the mother.
T.
Sometimes an address is given, and sometimes not...
Have to take what we can get
I translated the birth record you posted, but not much info in the record about the mother.
T.
Re: solemn promise translation
I'll take what I got - it got me back two more generations and two new surnames!Tessa78 wrote: Have to take what we can get
I translated the birth record you posted, but not much info in the record about the mother.
T.
Yes, I see that you translated the birth record! Thanks a bunch! This is so much fun!
Annette
Re: solemn promise translation
Glad to help! 
T.
T.


