Could someone help me translate this marriage document? The writing is very light.
http://img694.imageshack.us/i/marriagec ... omcdi.jpg/
Thank you so much in advance!!
Help translating marriage document
Re: Help translating marriage document
Did this image come off of ancestry you might have to save and recrop it in two pieces to read it. Whats the names on the record year and town?
Marty
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Help translating marriage document
Yes it is from Ancestry. The names are Francesco Paolo Nigro and Maria Carmela di Persia from Laurenzana (Potenza, Basilicata). I believe the date is April 11, 1874. I will try to recrop the image when I'm at work tomorrow. I'm not sure why this one isn't zooming the way my other images did.
Re: Help translating marriage document
Could you explain how I can crop it? I've tried a few different things and I'm not having any luck.
Re: Help translating marriage document
Hi lorinigro 
I took a look at the image on Ancestry...it is very light, but I could read the following information if it helps...
Marriage #14
11 April 1874 at the town hall in Laurenzana appeared
Francesco Paolo Nigro, son of Giuseppe and of Angela Milano, profession "campagnolo" (peasant), widower of deceased Maria Giuseppa Ambruso (sp?), age 35, born and resides in Laurenzana on Strada Antenati...
AND
Maria Carmela di Persia, daughter of deceased Giovanni, property owner (?), and of Giuditta Gioscio (sp?), peasant farmer, widow of deceased Xxxx Vincenzo Rizzo, age 37, peasant farmer born and resides in this comune on Strada Pescares (sp?)
There are also Banns of Marriage in the Ancestry records. I'll see if I can post them. Maybe they are clearer...
T.
I took a look at the image on Ancestry...it is very light, but I could read the following information if it helps...
Marriage #14
11 April 1874 at the town hall in Laurenzana appeared
Francesco Paolo Nigro, son of Giuseppe and of Angela Milano, profession "campagnolo" (peasant), widower of deceased Maria Giuseppa Ambruso (sp?), age 35, born and resides in Laurenzana on Strada Antenati...
AND
Maria Carmela di Persia, daughter of deceased Giovanni, property owner (?), and of Giuditta Gioscio (sp?), peasant farmer, widow of deceased Xxxx Vincenzo Rizzo, age 37, peasant farmer born and resides in this comune on Strada Pescares (sp?)
There are also Banns of Marriage in the Ancestry records. I'll see if I can post them. Maybe they are clearer...
T.
Re: Help translating marriage document
Sorry - not much clearer when I post them... 
But - same information...
ADDED: Cropped image of banns (part of first line is missing and on previous page in record book. Just states the year 1874, and day 15...
Then continues on with this image... month of March etc.
http://postimage.org/image/13tp6aaro/
T.
But - same information...
ADDED: Cropped image of banns (part of first line is missing and on previous page in record book. Just states the year 1874, and day 15...
Then continues on with this image... month of March etc.
http://postimage.org/image/13tp6aaro/
T.
Re: Help translating marriage document
Thank you so much for the translation! What are Banns of Marriage?
Re: Help translating marriage document
The Banns were actually called the pubblicazioni which were posted on the door of the town hall for the weeks before the marriage was to take place. (Usually 2 consecutive Sundays, then a Thursday, before the civil ceremony.) This gave notice of the contract to marry and gave anyone who might have an objection to the marriage a chance to say so.
If you go back to Ancestry, you will see them in the list of documents. I think Francesco and Maria's were #32 (first posting was the 15th of March, I seem to recall)
T.
If you go back to Ancestry, you will see them in the list of documents. I think Francesco and Maria's were #32 (first posting was the 15th of March, I seem to recall)
T.
Re: Help translating marriage document
Thank you so so much for that information!

