Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
I'm reading a marriage record from 1876. The woman is my bisnonna. I know from several of her children's birth records that she was a filatrice (spinner). However, on her marriage record she is listed as something else. It looks like Cissitrice or maybe Lissitrice. Biffitrice? The 3rd and 4th letters definately look like long s. And the "trice" part is very clear. The first letter is weird. Any ideas on what this occupation might be? It sure doesn't look like filatrice or levatrice, but what else could it be?
DonnaPellegrin wrote:Hello again, I'm here to beg.
I'm reading a marriage record from 1876. The woman is my bisnonna. I know from several of her children's birth records that she was a filatrice (spinner). However, on her marriage record she is listed as something else. It looks like Cissitrice or maybe Lissitrice. Biffitrice? The 3rd and 4th letters definately look like long s. And the "trice" part is very clear. The first letter is weird. Any ideas on what this occupation might be? It sure doesn't look like filatrice or levatrice, but what else could it be?
Thanks.
Hi Donna,
This website might help you with Italian Occupations.
Sometimes you just need to go to the source. OK, so I talk to dead people. Sometimes they talk back.
Trish, I had it figured out before I saw your message, but thank you for the link. I have saved it to my favorites file for future reference. It should come in handy! (Tessitrice isn't on his list, BTW. I noticed that only the "male" versions of the professions are listed. Something to keep in mind. )
From 12th October 1946, the national anthem of Italy has been the "Canto degli Italiani" (Chant of the Italians), written in the Autumn of 1847 by a Genoese student and patriot Goffredo Mameli, and set to music in Turin by another Genoese, Michele Novaro. Born during an atmosphere of patriotic fervo...