Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ntedesco11
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 14 Sep 2013, 00:15

Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by ntedesco11 »

I was wondering if someone could help.
I am trying find out more information on my father's side.

Some background:
My great-grandfather's name was Francesco "Frank" Tedesco, born in Palermo on 18 Dec 1885. According to Ancestry.com, he arrived in US in 1909. His brother's name was Giacomo. Their father's name was Rudolph/Gandolfo Tedesco who was born about 1862 but died 19 May 1953.

Frank married a woman by the name of Madeline "Lena" Laplaca, born in Sicily (I believe)on 23 Nov 1891. I have no idea who her parents are. According to Ancestry.com, she arrived in US in 1918.

My goal is to further explore this side of the family and hopefully step back another generation.

Thank you for helping out! :)
ntedesco11
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 14 Sep 2013, 00:15

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by ntedesco11 »

Oh I totally forgo to add this piece of information above, I am so sorry. Both sides of the family settled in Rochester, NY.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by suanj »

Hi, here Maddalena La Placa arrival:

First Name: Maddalena
Last Name: La Placa
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Collesano, Italy
Date of Arrival: Oct 05, 1917
Age at Arrival: 26y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Dante Alighieri
Port of Departure: Genova
Manifest Line Number: 0021
joining at sister Rosa La Placa in Rochester, NY

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 0222060231&
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by suanj »

Seeming that Maddalena was born in Petralia Soprana( Palermo province, Sicily, IT) and resident in Collesano.
I found the birth act of Maddalena La Placa born in Petralia Soprana on 23 Nov. 1891 #285, daughter of Giuseppe La Placa and ... (? first name unreadable, maybe Giorgia) Spinoso:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :828811175
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by PippoM »

Maybe it's Grazia...cos ne pensi, Suanj?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by PippoM »

Maybe it's Grazia...cosa ne pensi, Suanj?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by suanj »

Thanks Pippo, Grazia is right :D !
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ntedesco11
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 14 Sep 2013, 00:15

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by ntedesco11 »

Oh wow thank you guys. Now is there a way to translate the birth act? These names are all new to me, I feel bad that I can't confirm Madeline's parents' names. Also with the manifest, it says she was coming to Rochester, leaving her father Rosario in Italy... Should I rely n the info given in the birth act that matches her birthdate or try to look again on Ellis Island website?

Thank you again :)
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by suanj »

I believe tat is the right Maddalena La Placa, because her secopnd son was named Joseph... maybe on the ship's manifest she declared Rosario as first name of father, because.... maybe... his first name was Giuseppe Rosario..
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by PippoM »

If you want to be sure, you have to go through Petralia marriages. They have year indexes. I lookek in the ten-year index 1886-1895, but found nothing.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by adelfio »

I think the best way is to verify birth act is to find info about her sister Rosa la Placa that's listed on the shipmanifest that Suanj posted do you have her married name by any chance?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by suanj »

Maddalena, on ship's manifest declared that she was in USA from 1897 to 1913
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0021
also on the birth act of Maddalena, the midwife was the informant in lieu of Giuseppe La Placa because he not was in Petralia
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ntedesco11
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 14 Sep 2013, 00:15

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by ntedesco11 »

adelfio wrote:I think the best way is to verify birth act is to find info about her sister Rosa la Placa that's listed on the shipmanifest that Suanj posted do you have her married name by any chance?

Marty
If you're referring to Madeline's married name, it was Tedesco, but I am unaware of them being married before coming to the states or if they met and married in NY (specifically in Rochester).
ntedesco11
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 14 Sep 2013, 00:15

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by ntedesco11 »

suanj wrote:I believe tat is the right Maddalena La Placa, because her secopnd son was named Joseph... maybe on the ship's manifest she declared Rosario as first name of father, because.... maybe... his first name was Giuseppe Rosario..
suanj
Oh wow, how did you know that Madeline had a son named Joseph? He was born in Cooperstown, NY (information found on Ancestry.com). If there was another son, I'm starting to wonder if she was married before getting married to my great-grandfather (Tedesco)...
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by suanj »

ntedesco11 wrote:
suanj wrote:I believe tat is the right Maddalena La Placa, because her secopnd son was named Joseph... maybe on the ship's manifest she declared Rosario as first name of father, because.... maybe... his first name was Giuseppe Rosario..
suanj
Oh wow, how did you know that Madeline had a son named Joseph? He was born in Cooperstown, NY (information found on Ancestry.com). If there was another son, I'm starting to wonder if she was married before getting married to my great-grandfather (Tedesco)...
I know this info by the censuses:
1930 United States Federal Census about Lena Tedesco
Name: Lena Tedesco
Gender: Female
Birth Year: abt 1894
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1930: Rochester, Monroe, New York
Map of Home: View Map
Marital Status: Married
Immigration Year: 1918
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's Name: Frank Tedesco
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Occupation:

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:

View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Frank Tedesco 44
Lena Tedesco 36
Rudolph Tedesco 10
Joseph Tedesco 9
Jack Tedesco 5
Angelo Tedesco 2
[2 6/12]

1940 United States Federal Census about Lena Tedesco
Name: Lena Tedesco
Respondent: Yes
Age: 48
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Gender: Female
Race: White
Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Home in 1940: Rochester, Monroe, New York
Map of Home in 1940: View Map
Street: North Street
House Number: 574
Inferred Residence in 1935: Rochester, Monroe, New York
Residence in 1935: Same Place
Resident on farm in 1935: No
Citizenship: Alien
Sheet Number: 8A
Attended School or College: No
Highest Grade Completed: Elementary school, 2nd grade
Weeks Worked in 1939: 0
Income: 0
Income Other Sources: No
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Frank Tedesco 54
Lena Tedesco 48
Rudolph Tedesco 19
Joseph Tedesco 18
Jack Tedesco 15
Angelo Tedesco 12


they are the right censuses?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply