Please help with profession translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
TerryM
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 48
Joined: 11 Dec 2013, 21:30

Please help with profession translation

Post by TerryM »

I have attached a birth record with a red arrow pointing to the profession of a witness. Please let me know what the Italian spelling is as well as the translation. I have REALLY tried to figure it out but can't. Thank you!
Attachments
Carolino Marasco birth record - profession of witness.jpg
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Please help with profession translation

Post by erudita74 »

TerryM wrote:I have attached a birth record with a red arrow pointing to the profession of a witness. Please let me know what the Italian spelling is as well as the translation. I have REALLY tried to figure it out but can't. Thank you!
Hi Terry

The word as written in this document is barilajo. Sometimes we find the letter "j" in place of the letter "i" in surnames or in other words. In this case, it is in an occupation word. The occupation is barrel maker, which we normally see spelled as "barilaio"

Erudita
TerryM
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 48
Joined: 11 Dec 2013, 21:30

Re: Please help with profession translation

Post by TerryM »

Thank you Erudita! That was quick! Yes, it was the "j" that threw me. I also thought the "r" was an "n" or "m".
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Please help with profession translation

Post by erudita74 »

TerryM wrote:Thank you Erudita! That was quick! Yes, it was the "j" that threw me. I also thought the "r" was an "n" or "m".

Hi Terry
Happy to help.
Erudita
Post Reply