Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
This is a 1752 death record from San Vitaliano, Italy for Onofrius Mautone.
Can anyone tell me what the "C.S.M.E (?)" means
If someone can translate the whole thing, I would be very grteful. Only been able to figure out date and names.
And if the above link doesn't work, you won't hear from me again, 'cause I'll have killed myself Just kidding Followed Maria's instructions to the letter
Frankly the writing is very hard for reading..... but what I can read about "C.S.M. E. " is that "S. M. E. = "Sancta Mater Ecclesia ( litterally Saint Church Mother) and shortly:
Onofrius Mautone ved.(widow of) Anna Janiro.......... (illegible) in (=in) C.S.M.E. ( C. Sancta Mater Ecclesia ) animum etc.... in domo propria;( litterally: it has rendered the spirit to God in own house= it is died in own house) ... also are wrote that "cujus corpus"( the late's body) is buried in the church of saint Giovanni Battista and the legal heir is.... ( a illegible name)... the act is made for a wedding in 18( it seems) August 1818..
Obviously this is what I can understand...
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website: ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Thanks so much for the translation. I agree, it is hard to read. Anna's last name on other documents is Savino., but I need to figure out who the legal heir was!
Many thanks, have a great day or evening & God Bless.
Gratefully yours,
jcsm (smile)
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Hi jcsm , thanks for kind words, however in the link that I suggest you was the right abbreviation... I think that could be helpful for you in further searches! regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website: ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
My eyes must be getting older than I am! Missed C.S. M. E. @ abbreviation site. I did check there first, it's in "my favorites." I even tried printing the document for a reference @ FHC, but only prints sections and alignment is off.
What is really strange is the document says he is a widower of Anna "Janiro"/ Savino. Same marriage process papers provided her death record in 1764. Going to have to make sure I didn't read it wrong!
regards,
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
My eyes must be getting older than I am! Missed C.S. M. E. @ abbreviation site. I did check there first, it's in "my favorites." I even tried printing the document for a reference @ FHC, but only prints sections and alignment is off.
What is really strange is the document says he is a widower of Anna "Janiro"/ Savino. Same marriage process papers provided her death record in 1764. Going to have to make sure I didn't read it wrong!
regards,
jcsm
Hi,
about
is the document says he is a widower of Anna "Janiro"/ Savino.
I read so, but also is possible that I'm in error .. really no very good from reading the handwriting... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website: ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Actually, I too thought that was what it said. The dates are clearly printed out, not just handwrtten, so I know that he died in 1752 & his wife died in 1764. Hopefully, someone else comes a long and can read it better!
Maria, Thanks so much for posting the larger image. We sure keep you busy with all our postings. You are a trooper. You are going to have to teach me how to do it sometime. I hate imposing on you all the time, but I will send this to you by email. Hopefully you can post a better image.
Many thanks everyone,
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400 wrote:
Maria, Thanks so much for posting the larger image. We sure keep you busy with all our postings. You are a trooper. You are going to have to teach me how to do it sometime. I hate imposing on you all the time, but I will send this to you by email. Hopefully you can post a better image.
Many thanks everyone,
jcsm
Hope to catch up (this and other posts) sometime this evening when all is quiet here (March break hysteria) ... hope you sent it to my email... I haven't even had time to check those yet either...
Haven't forgotten... just gotta run... someone's waiting for me to go out...
Waiting the bigger image, i post my transcription:
Fidem facio ego subscriptus parochus populis ecclesiae Sancti Vitaliani
quod, perquisito uno ex libris mortuis, folio 29 recto, sic
adscriptum inveni: "Anno Domini 1752 die 4 menses maii
Onufrius Mantone vir Annae Savino uxoris suae, amis-
so in communione sanctae matris Ecclesiae, animam sua reddidit in domo
propria, cuius corpus eodem die sepultum est
in ecclesia sancti Ioannis Baptistae huius [...]"
Datum Sancti Vitaliani die 18 mensis augusti 1818
valeat pro matrimonio
Ever since I was a little boy, my dad would show me my great grandfather's card, and tell me that he was a count in Italy. I was always intrigued by that, but never really thought about asking my grandmother questions, or anyone else for that matter. About ten years ago, as more and more information...