Are there birth records from Napoli around 1788 online?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Are there birth records from Napoli around 1788 online?

Post by Gags »

Hi All!

First, let me say this site has been such a great help and has unlocked pretty much all of my family history before they landed in America! So thank you again!

I am trying to find the birth record of my 3rd great grandfather, Giovanni Gagliano, who was born in Napoli, most likely in Porto or Pendino, around 1788. But I see on FamilySearch that the general Napoli records aren't published for that time frame. I see there are church records that cover that year, but not sure which parish. Would anyone have info on that?

A little more backstory...I don't think that I'm a descendant of the Gagliano violin family, but something has me curious. My ancestor's marriage record is listed here, 5th one from top: https://www.familysearch.org/search/rec ... %3Anapoli~.

Giovanni's father is listed as Nicola. (One of the famous Gagliano violin makers at this time was Nicola.) And Giovanni's mother is listed as Fortunata Smitto. :? Now I've grown up in NYC and have been around Italian names all my life - I've never heard the last name Smitto, which has me suspicious. (By the way, what was his occupation? Codeffaro? I know my ancestors were blacksmiths but I can't find what this word means. I assume something similar given the faro part of the word.)

Around the same time, give or take some years, is another Nicola and Fortunata, but this time Fortunata's last name is Milano, 6th one from top. https://www.familysearch.org/search/rec ... e%3Anapoli. That is the violin family. So we have Nicola Gagliano and two Fortunatas. Granted some names were very popular, but this seems a bit uncanny to me.

I figure if I can find Giovanni's birth record, that will provide evidence as to whether I'm part of the violin family or not.

Any help is appreciated!!

Grazie mille!!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Are there birth records from Napoli around 1788 online?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi, hopefully the following will help:

Giovanni Gagliano Marriage Record: (Parents Nicola Gagliano and Fortunato Smitto) is also viewable here: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 9.jpg.html

Allegati for this Marriage Starts Here: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 9.jpg.html

Baptism Record Giovanni Francesco Antonio Gagliano (Parents: married Nicola Gagliano and Fortunato Smitto – Born 11 September 1787 – Living Piazza Larga): http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Death of Nicola Gagliano, husband of Fortunato Smitto: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Death of Fortunato Smitto, widow of Nicola Gagliano: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

If you need to have any of the above records, or any other records amongst the allegati translated, you can post the links (separately) on the translations forum here and we'll chip away at them.

I'm reading codettaro for the occupation. (I'm not sure what it means though but someone else will.)

Angela
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

Thank you so much Angela!! Great stuff. I'm still fascinated to see records from so long ago!

I don't see that they've listed Nicola's parents on his death record, yah?

Also, I assume on Fortunata's death record, the parents listed are hers, despite the word "figlio"?
I see "...figlio de furono Biase e Carmina Addorico..." (? - hard for me to think what that surname could be)

Yes, codettaro looks right, but it's not popping up in any old occupation lists.

Thanks again for the help!!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

It states that Fortunata Smitto left 4 children who were conceived with her deceased husband, Nicola Gagliano.

T.
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

Thanks Tessa!

I was looking at the paragraph above that in which they state the death of Fortunata. It cites the parents, which I would expect to be hers, but I’m thrown by the use of figlio instead of figlia.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Gags wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 19:40 Thanks Tessa!

I was looking at the paragraph above that in which they state the death of Fortunata. It cites the parents, which I would expect to be hers, but I’m thrown by the use of figlio instead of figlia.
Probably just a clerical error. The rest of the record seems to indicate the correct Fortunata.

As to the mother's surname, it certainly looks like Addovico or Addorico. However, I do not find that surname in Salerno Province. You would find spellings such as Addo, Addorisio, Addorizio, Addonizio in the Region...

T.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Gags wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 18:20 Thank you so much Angela!! Great stuff. I'm still fascinated to see records from so long ago!

I don't see that they've listed Nicola's parents on his death record, yah?

Also, I assume on Fortunata's death record, the parents listed are hers, despite the word "figlio"?

I see "...figlio de furono Biase e Carmina Addorico..." (? - hard for me to think what that surname could be)

Yes, codettaro looks right, but it's not popping up in any old occupation lists.

Thanks again for the help!!
You are very welcome for the help. I was glad that the allegati for this marriage were on line and contained some key records that you were looking for. Just remember though, that the records posted here, except for Giovanni's marriage record, are extracts. Extracts sometimes do contain clerical error, so what I always do with my own records is fetch the original record. All the important information like number of the Act and relevant date of record will hopefully be correct on the extract, so the extract gives a clear guide as to where the original record will be – year, month, day, number etc.

No, unfortunately Nicola's parents are not mentioned on his Death Record - this is often the case with church records.

Yesterday, I was as perplexed about the name Smitto as you are. I started looking for the 1817 death record but didn't find it – the antenati was on a go slow. I've tried looking again but the antenati site is slow again. I also searched the name Smitto, and like you say, it doesn't seem to be Italian. In fact, it doesn't seem to be anywhere. Either the name has just been phased out or it may have been a German name that became Italianized – just thinking out loud here. I'm no expert on names.)

Re: Fortunata's mother's name, I am reading Carmina Addovico. While the surname Addovico "may not" appear anywhere today, it did appear in the 1800's in Vicaria, Napoli.

Take a look here at the indexing here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/rec ... 3Aaddovico~

(It may have now been shortened to Dovico or the spelling may have been changed to Addevico which seems to be present today???? Note: I haven't looked at the actual records, just what has been indexed here – sometimes the indexing have errors.)
Anyways, I believe that Addovico was the correct spelling for that time.

Figlio would probably have been a clerical error. It would be interesting to see what the original death record says.

I'm still thinking about "codettaro" Hopefully someone will chime in who knows the meaning.

Angela
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

Thanks Tessa and Angela for digging in to my search!!

I was just thinking that I can try to find Fortunata's birth record and that could crack the code on the names.
Brilliant to look for other indexed Addevico's! I came up with the same close names like Tessa did, but great to see that Addevico was a legit surname.

And Biase Smitto? Probably a guy named Blaise Smith trying to convince Carmina's parents he was Neapolitan! :lol:

I'll keep looking! Thanks again!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Gags wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 22:23 Thanks Tessa and Angela for digging in to my search!!

I was just thinking that I can try to find Fortunata's birth record and that could crack the code on the names.
Brilliant to look for other indexed Addevico's! I came up with the same close names like Tessa did, but great to see that Addevico was a legit surname.

And Biase Smitto? Probably a guy named Blaise Smith trying to convince Carmina's parents he was Neapolitan! :lol:

I'll keep looking! Thanks again!
Happy to help. Sorry, I can't help any more on this today as I'm expecting visitors shortly, plus the antenati site is not behaving for me.

BTW: Fortunate was born circa 1747, so finding her birth record will be a bit of a challenge. I don't think this info is online? Or did you mean her death record?

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Gags wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 22:23 And Biase Smitto? Probably a guy named Blaise Smith trying to convince Carmina's parents he was Neapolitan! :lol:
Thinking about this comment, you could be onto something here - Smith - Smithy - Blacksmith. You said your ancestors were Blacksmiths????? Just a thought.

Angela
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

I was thinking if I could find Fortunata's birth or baptism record, but as you said, that could be tough.
I've been trying the search function on Antenati to find other Gagliano family members, but none look promising so far.

Yes, my Gagliano ancestors were blacksmiths and goldsmiths. In fact, they still are in SMCV, Caserta!

Not sure about Smitty though! LOL!
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

There are two SMITT in today's phone book both in North Italy!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Gags wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 23:41 I was thinking if I could find Fortunata's birth or baptism record, but as you said, that could be tough. Indeed.

I've been trying the search function on Antenati to find other Gagliano family members, but none look promising so far. Try Cagliano as well.

Yes, my Gagliano ancestors were blacksmiths and goldsmiths. In fact, they still are in SMCV, Caserta!

Not sure about Smitty though! LOL! Smithy - it's both a blacksmith's workshop and also a nickname for a blacksmith. :) Anyway, I'm still not sure where the name Smitto originated from but it was a name used in Vicaria and certainly sounds Italian. I'll leave you to research its origins.

Anyways, I decided to look for Giovanni's Death Record, which I think you'll find quite insightful. Note the spelling of his surname here:

Death Record No 711: Giovanni Cagliano
Vicaria: 22 July 1835

Giovanni Cagliano, died 21 July 1835, 8 pm in the Spedale della Pace* (Hospital of Peace). He was 50 yo, Ferraro (Blacksmith) living Vico Benevento agl'orfici** numero 18, the son of deceased Nicola (Cagliano) and Fortunato Smitto, casato*** (family) with Fortunato Carola.

Ignorandosi ogri altra notizia??? (Ignorant of other news.) (In my own words, I think this means that nothing else was known concerning his death?)

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 3.jpg.html

* Spedale della Pace – you can google this.
** orifici – goldsmiths
***Casato – just another way of saying married with – I'm sure I've heard this before with our neopolitans.

Codettaro – maybe this just means that he was like a trainee or an apprentice blacksmith at the time of his marriage????

Angela
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

Thank you much, Angela!!

Interesting to see the misspelling of the last name.
I see the same thing with my great-great grandmother (Bottiglieri vs Buttiglieri) on a couple of records.
But this is certainly the right Giovanni.
Your theory on the occupation seems like a good one. I can't find anything similar to apprentice, journeyman, understudy, but of course, the language has evolved over time.

Thanks again!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

You are very welcome, Gags. Glad I could help with this.

Angela :D