Citizenship vs Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Rdimartino

Citizenship vs Naturalization

Post by Rdimartino »

Hi guys I will try to keep this short sweet and as clear as possible. I hope someone can help with my question, thanks in advanced for any info!

My great grandfather was an Italian citizenship who received American citizenship before or during the birth of my grandfather.

My grandfather was an Italian citizen and I have his Italian birth certificate.

My grandfather then received a US ‘Certificate of Citizenship’ in 1953. He does NOT have a certificate of naturalization. This means he inherited his citizenship through his father.

My father was then born a year later in 1954.

Considering my grandfather had a certificate of citizenship and not a Naturalization, does that mean I’m still eligible for jure sanguinos through him? Or did he renounce Italian citizenship when accepting the certificate of citizenship therefore not passing at the time of my father’s birth?
mler
Master
Master

Re: Citizenship vs Naturalization

Post by mler »

Your gf lost his citizenship the day his father naturalized. He naturalized with his father.

When someone receives citizenship through another’s naturalization, it is called derivative citizenship. Children who receive citizenship in this manner do not receive naturalization certificates. Thus, later in life, they often request a Certificate of Citizenship to prove their status. However, Italian citizenship ended with the original naturalization.
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Citizenship vs Naturalization

Post by jennabet »

It would be even easier to understand if you just keep in mind that before 1992, actions of the parent always affected the minor children. Parent naturalized, minor children also naturalized -- even if the children were left in Italy while the parent had already migrated to America.