married name of mother on marriage license application

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Caterina05271899
Rookie
Rookie

married name of mother on marriage license application

Post by Caterina05271899 »

Ciao a tutti,
I am helping my brother, who lives in Colorado Springs, Colorado, apply to have his Italian citizenship recognized via Jure Sanguinis. He has an appointment at the Chicago Consulate in 2020. He will apply via GF-M-himself.

He was married in Colorado Springs, CO in 1987. He recently received a certified copy of his marriage license and he sent me a picture of it. Where the marriage license application requested the name of his mother, he wrote her married name --- not her maiden name. I closely examined the application and nowhere does it say that the name of the groom's mother must be the full maiden name.

Not providing the mother's maiden name and instead providing the current married name seems very odd to me. I guess this is because I've only seen a handful of marriage licenses from California, Virginia and NY and they all showed the full maiden name of the mother of the bride/groom. Of course, my brother will have a copy of our parent's marriage certificate which shows our mother's maiden name and that of her father.

Has anyone in this group encountered this situation? Did it cause a problem when you applied?

Grazie mille.
mler
Master
Master

Re: married name of mother on marriage license application

Post by mler »

I can’t imagine this would be a problem. If the license application asked for his mother’s name, he correctly listed her legal name, which in the US is often different from her birth name. The consulate is well aware that it is quite common in the US for a woman to take her husband’s name when she marries. The marriage certificate makes the needed connection.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Since his mother is his direct ancestor, Italy will want to see his mother's birth name on his marriage certificate. He should have the marriage certificate amended as it is incorrect any way and could also cause a headache for any future generations that might need to use the information. Why not make it right now? Easier on everyone.
Caterina05271899
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Caterina05271899 »

Thank you to mler and jennabet for taking the time to reply with suggestions

At first I took the point of view of mler, but then the thought of having it be an issue with the consulate or comune in Italy prompted me to write my post. His appointment at the Chicago Consulate isn't until May 2020 so there's time to contact the office in Colorado Springs, CO and work on the correction.
Grazie mille.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Making a correction to your own marriage license should not be difficult, and doing so would definitely eliminate any potential problems. Best of luck.