I need to know if my last name is Gioscia or Gioscio from Laurenzana

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
RodolfoG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 20 Jun 2019, 19:20

I need to know if my last name is Gioscia or Gioscio from Laurenzana

Post by RodolfoG »

I need to know if I my last name is Gioscia or Gioscio.
:?:
    My name is Rodolfo Gioscia. My family lives in Uruguay.
    My father and grandfather were born in Uruguay (both of them named Rodolfo!) but my greatgrandfather was Italian. Sabado (or Sabato) Gioscia born (20/10/1860 and died 1/5/1939)
    Sabado came to Uruguay and although the inmigration people wrote his last name as Gioscia, there is a rumour or note that he could actually be Gioscio.
    All my family is Gioscia but due to that issue we could all be Gioscio!
    For this reason I really need to know if Sabado was Gioscia or Gioscio.
    Sabado had three siblings Rossina, Gaetano and Antonio. Their parents were Pascual (or Pasquale) Gioscia born in Laurenzana (Born 11/6/1819 and died 1870) and Terese Pelletiere (or Belletiere) born 5/4/1834.
    Pascual or Pascuales parents were Vittorio Antonio Gioscia and Carolina Scagliaro.
    Can someone help me with this inquire ?
    dcameransi
    Rookie
    Rookie
    Posts: 25
    Joined: 17 Jul 2018, 13:16

    Re: I need to know if my last name is Gioscia or Gioscio from Laurenzana

    Post by dcameransi »

    http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... =138739315

    This appears to be Rossina's Birth Act.

    A quick search of the White Pages show five Gioscia still living in Laurenzana (with one Gioscio living 25 km from Laurenzana).
    User avatar
    adelfio
    Master
    Master
    Posts: 9334
    Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
    Location: Chicago

    Re: I need to know if my last name is Gioscia or Gioscio from Laurenzana

    Post by adelfio »

    Welcome to IG website
    Heres birth record of 1860 Oct 20 Sabatino Fortunato Gioscio born in Laurezana province of Potenza son of Pasquale Gioscio age 28 and Maria Teresa Pelletire age 20 baby was presented by midwife Carmela Valino daughter of deceased Vincenzo Valino

    http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... g2_imageVi

    Marty
    Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

    Marty
    erudita74
    Master
    Master
    Posts: 9246
    Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

    Re: I need to know if my last name is Gioscia or Gioscio from Laurenzana

    Post by erudita74 »

    correct spelling of the surnames

    Pellettieri (the surname ends in an "i"-very clear in the index at the end of the records; also found in the current Italian white pages spelled that way

    Volino is the correct spelling for the midwife's surname
    User avatar
    adelfio
    Master
    Master
    Posts: 9334
    Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
    Location: Chicago

    Re: I need to know if my last name is Gioscia or Gioscio from Laurenzana

    Post by adelfio »

    1852 May 26 marriage of Pasquale Maria Gioscio age 29 born in Laurenzana son of deceased Giuseppe Gioscio and Rosa Salgano and married Maria Teresa Pellettieri age 29 born in Ferradina daughter of deceased Gaetano Pellettieri and Rosa Motta

    Is this the right parents?
    http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0


    http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

    Marty
    Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

    Marty
    RodolfoG
    Newbie
    Newbie
    Posts: 7
    Joined: 20 Jun 2019, 19:20

    Re: I need to know if my last name is Gioscia or Gioscio from Laurenzana

    Post by RodolfoG »

    Thank you very much for your help!
    I am amazed for the information you are providing me Thank You!!
    It seems that my family last name would be Gioscio
    However I have some questions regarding the information provided here.
    In my records Pasquale was son of Vittorio Antonio Gioscia (now I understand he was Gioscia) and Carolina Scagliaro, but in your record, Pasquale was the son of Giuseppe Gioscio and Rosa Salgano.
    Can you help me find who Vittorio Antonio was and why It appears to be Pasquales father?
    I would like to know how long ago Gioscio last name appears?
    Also Id like to know if Gioscio and Gioscia might be related (sometimes one of the offspring very long time ago might have been registered with a different letter and a new family name appears although they all share a common ancestor=
    Thank you all for you great help!
    Best Rodolfo

    :)
    RodolfoG
    Newbie
    Newbie
    Posts: 7
    Joined: 20 Jun 2019, 19:20

    Re: I need to know if my last name is Gioscia or Gioscio from Laurenzana

    Post by RodolfoG »

    Sorry for insisting in this but it seems that Pasquale Gioscio was son of Giuseppe and Rosa Salgano and not Vittorio and Carolina Scagliaro.

    Is it possible to search for Vittorio and Carolina?

    Besides, in Uruguay María Teresa from Ferradina appears as Bellettiere and not Pelletieri (in the uruguayan records ) She died in Montevideo in June 6th 1926 age 92. According to this she was born :?: in 1834 and was not 29 when she married Pasquale in 1852.

    Maybe there are different people..
    Can you help me with this?
    Besides I would like to know if Gioscia and Gioscio might be related because it seems that some offpring might have been registered with a different letter.
    If this is the case a new family name is created although both Gioscia and Gioscio might share a common ancestor.


    Thank you for your help! I am trying to know my origins in Italy!
    User avatar
    adelfio
    Master
    Master
    Posts: 9334
    Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
    Location: Chicago

    Re: I need to know if my last name is Gioscia or Gioscio from Laurenzana

    Post by adelfio »

    Is this your Rodolfo
    Sábado Gioscia
    mentioned in the record of Rodolfo Gioscia Berhouet
    Name: Sábado Gioscia
    Sex: Male
    Wife: Mariana Berhouet
    Son: Rodolfo Gioscia Berhouet
    Other information in the record of Rodolfo Gioscia Berhouet
    from Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, Immigration Cards

    Name:
    Rodolfo Gioscia Berhouet
    Event Type:
    Immigration
    Event Date:
    1950
    Event Place:
    Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
    Gender:
    Male
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Nationality:
    Uruguay
    Traveling With Children:
    No
    Birth Date:
    28 Nov 1891
    Birthplace:
    Dept Flores
    Father's Name:
    Sábado Gioscia
    Mother's Name:
    Mariana Berhouet
    Image of Sábado Gioscia in entry for Rodolfo Gioscia Berhouet, Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, Immigration Cards, 1900-1965

    Marty
    Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

    Marty
    RodolfoG
    Newbie
    Newbie
    Posts: 7
    Joined: 20 Jun 2019, 19:20

    Re: I need to know if my last name is Gioscia or Gioscio from Laurenzana

    Post by RodolfoG »

    Hi Marty, Yes Rodolfo Gioscia Berhouet was my grandfather, however we cannot find Sabados birth papers.
    And as you posted before it seems that Sabado might be "
    Heres birth record of 1860 Oct 20 Sabatino Fortunato Gioscio born in Laurezana province of Potenza son of Pasquale Gioscio age 28 and Maria Teresa Pelletire age 20
    In my records Sabado was son of Pascual and Teresa Belettiere or Pelettieri grandson of Vittorio Gioscia

    SOoits not clear if Sabado and Sabatino are yhe same person. But one appears to be Gioscio and the other Gioscia

    Finding Sabado and Pasquale Birth papers would clear that (and even know if Pasquale s father was Vittorio or as you mentioned Giusseppe
    Thank you
    User avatar
    adelfio
    Master
    Master
    Posts: 9334
    Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
    Location: Chicago

    Re: I need to know if my last name is Gioscia or Gioscio from Laurenzana

    Post by adelfio »

    Your name was changed along the way by immigration and by the country of Uruguay by officals and by record keepers your name is spelled Gioscio

    Marty
    Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

    Marty
    User avatar
    adelfio
    Master
    Master
    Posts: 9334
    Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
    Location: Chicago

    Re: I need to know if my last name is Gioscia or Gioscio from Laurenzana

    Post by adelfio »

    Another sibling
    Birth record of 1857 Oct 24th in Laureneza Rocco Vincenzo Gioscio son of Pasquale Gioscio and Maria Teresa Pelettieri

    http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 2.jpg.html

    Marty
    Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

    Marty
    User avatar
    adelfio
    Master
    Master
    Posts: 9334
    Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
    Location: Chicago

    Re: I need to know if my last name is Gioscia or Gioscio from Laurenzana

    Post by adelfio »

    Another sibling
    Birth record of 1853 Feb 6th in Laurenzana Giuseppe Vito Gioscio son of Pasquale Maria Gioscio and Maria Teresa Pelettieri

    http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 3.jpg.html

    Marty
    Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

    Marty
    User avatar
    adelfio
    Master
    Master
    Posts: 9334
    Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
    Location: Chicago

    Re: I need to know if my last name is Gioscia or Gioscio from Laurenzana

    Post by adelfio »

    Heres all your answers in the processiti marriage file

    1852 May 26 marriage of Pasquale Maria Gioscio age 29 born in Laurenzana son of deceased Giuseppe Gioscio and Rosa Salgano and married Maria Teresa Pellettieri age 29 born in Ferradina daughter of deceased Gaetano Pellettieri and Rosa Motta

    Supporting documents [processetti or allegati]. These documents were often filed by the bride and groom in support of their intent or "solemn promise" to marry. Records proving their births and their parents’ births and deaths and sometimes documentation on earlier generations may be included. The names of former spouses and their death dates are also provided.
    Marriage Documentation

    This is right answers just go through file using the sucessive key let see your records you have?

    http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

    Marty
    Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

    Marty
    RodolfoG
    Newbie
    Newbie
    Posts: 7
    Joined: 20 Jun 2019, 19:20

    Re: I need to know if my last name is Gioscia or Gioscio from Laurenzana

    Post by RodolfoG »

    Marty, you are fantastic! Thank you so much for your help.

    I understand that the correct spelling is Gioscio
    In my records Pasquale was son of Vittorio Antonio and Carolina Scaglairo but you showed me that he was the son of Giusseppe Gioscio and Rosa Salgano.

    Besides in my records Pasquale and Teresa had four children Pasquale Rossina, Gaetano and Antonio, but you also showed me thatat least they had two more Rocco Vicenso and Giusseppe.

    Impressive!
    RodolfoG
    Newbie
    Newbie
    Posts: 7
    Joined: 20 Jun 2019, 19:20

    Re: I need to know if my last name is Gioscia or Gioscio from Laurenzana

    Post by RodolfoG »

    Marty

    Is it possible to find out about Giusseppe Gioscio? (as you mentioned father of Pasquale). When he was born and maybe who his parents were.

    Besides I would like to know why if there was somebody od the same generation that was Vittorio Gioscio (or Gioscia) married to Carolina Scagliaro because in my records this couple was Pasquales parents

    Thank You!
    Rodolfo
    Post Reply