Need help finding 2nd great grandparents

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
AmandaP
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 87
Joined: 07 Jul 2019, 14:02

Need help finding 2nd great grandparents

Post by AmandaP »

Hello! This is my first ever post here, so please bare with me. I'm researching the Italian side of my family and I've seem to hit a wall with my Italian paternal great grandfather, Giovanni Amoriello (at some point he changed his name to John). From what I have gathered, he came over on the Mendoza, arriving in N.Y. around 1913. He was about 22 years old. I found what I believe to him on the Mendoza passenger list (the dates and age match up). He has listed a man who I believe could be his father. I can't really read the handwriting, but I think the name is Francesco (no last name). Giovanni Amoriello was born in Moiano, Benvento, Italy and another document says Luzzano, Benvento, Italy. They are pretty close to each other on the map. I've tried searching for a Francesco Amoriello but no luck yet. I was wondering how I can get Giovanni Amoriello's birth certificate?? I'm hoping that will lead me to Giovanni's parents.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Need help finding 2nd great grandparents

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum!

Can you post the link to the manifest?

I have located a birth act for a Giovanni Amoriello in 1890 in Moriano (born 2 May)... however, it has a notation of a marriage in 1910 in Moiano to Angela Rosa Mele. Are you familiar with this name?
On this record the father is Nicola' Amoriello, and the mother is Mariantonia Maglione. Familiar???

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Could this be your John Amoriello? Veterans Administration Card
Name: John Amoriello
Event Type: Military Service
Event Date: 5 Aug 1919
Event Place: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Event Place: City of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Residence Place: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Birth Date: 2 May 1890
Death Date: 6 Nov 1954

****
AND***


A US Passport Application
Lists DOB of 3 May 1890 in Moiano, and father Nicola residing in Moiano.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2185145
There is a great photo of Giovanni on the second page.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2185145

T.
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Need help finding 2nd great grandparents

Post by mmogno »

Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
AmandaP
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 87
Joined: 07 Jul 2019, 14:02

Re: Need help finding 2nd great grandparents

Post by AmandaP »

Hello! No that's actually not the Giovanni Amoriello I'm looking for. I did some research on this gentleman and he's not who I am looking for.
AmandaP
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 87
Joined: 07 Jul 2019, 14:02

Re: Need help finding 2nd great grandparents

Post by AmandaP »

Should I delete this post? I think I posted two by mistake.
AmandaP
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 87
Joined: 07 Jul 2019, 14:02

Re: Need help finding 2nd great grandparents

Post by AmandaP »

That is a handsome man in that photo!! My goodness! But he's not the Giovanni I'm looking for lol.
Post Reply