Meaning of this Italian land/tax record?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vairanoPatenora

Meaning of this Italian land/tax record?

Post by vairanoPatenora »

I received some documentation from the Caserta State Archives in Italy - "Catasto Provvisorio Terreni, Matricole dei possessori" and my great-grandfather Elviro Santagata and his father Tomaso are present in it.

Would anyone know what information can be gleaned from this document? I suppose it means that they owned land and paid taxes on it, but is there anything more specific to be learned from it?

Thank you!

https://imgur.com/a/XOvyJt4
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Re: Meaning of this Italian land/tax record?

Post by darkerhorse »

What year?
vairanoPatenora

darkerhorse wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 22:48 What year?
1913-1920…the columns on the left correspond to the year. I don’t know what the handwritten number means next to each year however.

Tomaso died in 1914, so I notice that there are no numbers written next to years after 1915 whenever he is the subject of the record.

Elviro left Italy for the United States in 1924.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

these are cadastral estimates of 1911, considered valid for registration in the role (ie taxes) also for 1912 and therefore were used until 1920. The cadastral estimates are valuation of a land, they are parameters on which the Municipality it is based on calculating the annuity that the land procures for the owner. And on this presumed annuity, therefore taxable annuity, taxes are calculated.

So the picture is no abt the taxes but abt the parameters to calculate the taxes-
suanj
The envious is like the cuckoo. Try to appropriate the merits of others. He never starts a difficult search, having no skills, but puts his egg in other's nest.

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
vairanoPatenora

Thank you! So this would be the amount of money that their land produced? They were "contadini", so farmers, so this would presumably be the value of the produce they grew.

There are 4 entries that mention them - does this mean that they had 4 plots of land?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

That was the estimated value not only for how much the land could produce but also for the mere fact of being a property and who owns property pays taxes, whether they produce income or not. Because if a property does not produce income it is at the behest of the owner. Let's say it is a nominal value, estimated according to the property, the place where it is located, if it is easily accessible, if there are wells etc etc etc ... I don't see 4 properties, I see 2 yellow arrows that indicate 1 property each for several years . It turns out that they have only 1 "CATASTAL LOT" so only 1 land each .....
The envious is like the cuckoo. Try to appropriate the merits of others. He never starts a difficult search, having no skills, but puts his egg in other's nest.

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH