Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Hello to every one,
I have waited since May for the films of Sant Arcangelo Tremonte not knowing what to expect when they arrive from the family history centre.
Yes all in Italian ,so does any one know word for word the translation of a death, marriage, and birth certificate.
I know its a bit much to ask and i should have listened to my mum when she tried so hard to teach me Italian when i was a child
One more thing what does contadino? mean this word came after proffessione.
Thank you
Gina
Suanj is so right. A good dictionary is very useful.
I'm researching my films right now and I purchased the Italian genealogical word list from them for 1 dollar. It's very useful when looking at the films. Here is the link, check it out.
I'm researching my films right now and because the research facility near me is only open 4 hours a day 2 days a week, I copy my documents to a CD then bring them home to translate as much as I can.
My biggest problem right now is deciphering some of the hand written information but I keep at it and little by little it seems to be working out.
Hope the sites I provided will prove to be helpful.
There is a dictionary on-line called Garzanti Linguistici. They also have an archive of archaic Italian words which could be helpful in translating. I have it on my tool bar, so that if I am reading something in Italian, I can look up the word immediately. Good luck!
This may help you understand the old Italian handwriting I'll send another page separately you will need to click on the image to be able to read it and if you want to print them off,rint in landscape format from the large version
Emmy
I really don't know. My husband did it for me. I think you use the "my computer" function to do it. He also put my e-mail log-in there. Sorry I couldn't help you, but I will ask my husband for a simple explanation.
Ok thanks. I always open a second window and have to switch back and forth between my document in one window and the translator/dictionary in the other window.
I know of a couple of websites that might help you read these documents. For translations of professions, I have found this site invaluable: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... t=22468880
It has a fairly complete list in alphabetical order. I also like this site to check difficult to read first names that I am unfamiliar with: http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/ita.php
I hope these help.
Suanj is so right. A good dictionary is very useful.
I'm researching my films right now and I purchased the Italian genealogical word list from them for 1 dollar. It's very useful when looking at the films. Here is the link, check it out.
I'm researching my films right now and because the research facility near me is only open 4 hours a day 2 days a week, I copy my documents to a CD then bring them home to translate as much as I can.
My biggest problem right now is deciphering some of the hand written information but I keep at it and little by little it seems to be working out.
Hope the sites I provided will prove to be helpful.
Good luck!
Elizabeth
Hi, i wish i could do that transfer to disc at the church where i am looking at the films they only viewers so it is very difficult to read and in the old fashioned writting when you dont know the style they write.
but thank you for the links.
Gina
Emmy wrote:This may help you understand the old Italian handwriting I'll send another page separately you will need to click on the image to be able to read it and if you want to print them off,rint in landscape format from the large version
Emmy
Nowadays, very few Italian actors are able to emerge on the world cinema scene. Until a few decades ago it was different, but we talk about the age of the young Cinecittà, where it was not unusual to meet world-famous directors who set their stories which became known all over the world in those stu...